Precision reloading in the Hornady LNL?

Nomo4me

So I'm blessed with a Savage in .204 that appears to shoot factory ammo in the .3's consistently and looking forward to taking it after PD's and ground squirrels next year.
I'm set up to do "best quality" reloading for it with Lee Collet neck die and a Co-ax press. This would be for lower volume ammo for load development work and to play with at the bench and shoot bragging size groups.

But I'd like to set my LNL up to reload high volume ammo for those varmint shoots. Let's say my goal would be to not exceed .004" runout with an accuracy expectation of .5 moa.

With that goal in mind, which die set should I purchase? I'm thinking I'd like to go with a Redding or Forster Micrometer seating die. I'd value some input on neck sizing vs maybe the RCBS X-sizer die. I have the Lee collet neck sizer but don't know if collet sizer's work well in a progressive press.

I'm looking forward to responses from those who have loaded varmint ammo in the LNL.

Last edited:

'Borg

Depends on how much money you want to spend.
I have my L&L setup with standard RCBS FL dies, and what I do is seat the bullet just to where it won't fall out when it hits the tray.
Then I take it over to my Rock Chucker and do the rotating the case while seating deeper.
I get from .0005 to .001 runout doing it this way.

The Redding Competition Seater will keep the bullets going in straight with just a single stroke in the progressive. You'll be losing the Coax's self-alignment approach in that press, but the sliding sleeve makes up for that very well. I have an old Lyman turret press that has enough slop that it does a poor job of maintaining alignment, but when I seated .30-06 in it with the Redding Competition seater, my runout gauge registered only the runout due to uneveness of the neck wall thickness (unavoidable by any method).

The collet dies like to have you rotate the case 180 degrees and run it up a second time. There is some danger of dispensing extra powder doing that in a progressive. How much danger depends on how far you have to pull the case down to rotate it? You can't move it down far enough to index, even if you need to. So I just wouldn't mess with that. If you have serious volume and want to stick with neck-sizing-only, then I would get the new Redding Competition Bushing Neck Sizing Die which also uses the sliding sleeve principle to keep the case straight and to prevent pulling the neck off axis, which is a common fault of most conventional neck and even some FL sizing dies.

Last edited:

reloader28

My brother and a guy that works for us both have 204's and say they have fits getting them to shoot more accurate than factory ammo . We all have progressives and single stages but we're all to picky and dont trust the progressives to load rifle ammo especially smaller charged loads so we trickle in powder and use the single stages . We have rockchuckers but the co-ax is supposed to be far better . My uncle loves his . We leave the progressives for high volume not high accuracy pistol loads . Thats just our opinions .

Last edited: