Precision expectations from a 16" HBAR AR Carbine (non-free float)?

rantingredneck

I'm new to AR's.

Built my first one just a few months ago. TI stripped lower with Armalite LPK and factory RRA HBAR 16" A3 upper.

Only mod so far is a Midwest Industries 2 piece quad rail (non-free float).

I've been shooting irons with it at 25 and 50 yds and have been happy with the way it shoots, but hadn't really been trying for best groups. I recently purchased a Millet DMS-1 for it and today was my first range trip.

On 4 power off a front sand bag only I managed to keep a full 20 round mag in just about 2" at 100 yds. This is better than I expected from this rifle.

Were my expectations off or is this average for a 16" HBAR without freefloating?

I'm pleased with it. I wasn't after precision rifle level performance and really wasn't expecting 2MOA performance from it without some additional tweaking.

DaveInPA

I can group 5 rounds in a ragged hole at 100 yards with my stock Olympic AR, using my reloads. It's a 16" bull barrel with a free float tube. What ammo are you using?

rantingredneck

Good to know, thanks. I'm new to AR's so I didn't really know what to expect. All my other centerfire rifles are Rem 700 bolt guns.

BTW, ammo used was Federal XM193.