Precision 22lr semiautomatic?

mapsjanhere

Is there such a think as a match grade semi-auto 22lr? With a friend we shoot 22 lr silhouette, and wind is the deciding factor in a match at the longer distances. We're getting the feeling that being able to shoot a series of 10 targets in a quick sequence when the wind is stable is more important than the extra 1/10 MOA from the Anschuetz we're using now. So what options are there? Custom 10/22 with no part from Ruger but the magazine? Only requirement is that it has at least a 10 round magazine.

SIGSHR

I know of no factory models, I have a 1950s vintage H&R 800 Lynx which is VERY accurate. I think your idea of a customized Ruger 10/22 is your best best option.

Cowboy_mo

They are out of production but you can find some on the

used market. The Thompson Center Classic and later the R55.

The one I have is a real tack driver and most all of them have a great reputation.

You can find out more about them if you visit the rimfire central forums.

alex0535

If I was considering a precision semi auto .22 I would would look no further than Volquartsen. If your willing to pay their prices, you will have a precision .22.

Rimfire5

I would consider a Kidd 10-22 if you want a good shooting semi-auto .22LR.

I've had the good fortune to get first hand experience with 5 different Kidd rifles - 3 built by Tony Kidd and two built from all Kidd parts - all 5 have the 20 inch match barrel but all the stocks are different.
One of the Tony Kidd built rifles is brand new and hasn't had enough rounds through the barrel to claim performance with any certainty.
The other four have recorded 3084 measured 5 round groups at 50 yards over about a 2 year period in all kinds of conditions using a mixture of 29 match ammos.

The four of the Kidds shoot just about the same - extremely well - within 0.05 inches on average when compared to my Cooper 57M and Winchester 52C bolt action rifles calculated using each rifle's favorite 5 ammos. All shoot their favorite ammos under 0.4 inches and with only 0.023 inches separating the lowest and highest averages.

Interestingly enough, the one with the lowest overall average is one I assembled from parts. That average is within 0.008 inches of one of the Tony Kidd rifles so there isn't much of a difference in accuracy - probably more do to lot variations and weather conditions over extended testing than how the rifle was assembled.

When you look at averages for their 2 favorite ammos among the Kidd rifles, the difference is 0.003 between three of them.

Also, the Kidds shoot better than the Cooper when including the lower cost match ammos - the Kidds aren't as picky as the Cooper with lower cost ammos.
Three of the 4 average better than the Cooper bolt action across 29 match ammos and the 4th has the same overall average.

Picher

I bought a used 10-22 Deluxe with a walnut stock, added a Shilen bull barrel, did a bedding job, trigger job, and various modifications to stock parts. That rifle has shot 10 consecutive 5-shot groups at 50 yards, averaging .37".

It's a fun rifle that's shot some really impressive targets, including the first international postal 250 on the USBR target at 25 yards. It's won many turkey plate shoots at 50 yards as well.

IMHO - Newer 10-22s are not as well put-together as the older ones, so are more difficult to make shoot really well with Ruger parts, but it can be a great learning experience. Check out the Tips and Tricks section on RimfireCentral.com for great info.

mapsjanhere

Just an update on this: 10/22 with Kidd barrel and Volquartsen trigger group beat the Anschutzs etc. in strong wind for the first time. Reading the wind right twice per 10 shot group is definitely easier than reading it right 10 times. Now I just need to find a better stock ...