Pre or Post ban?

dustindu4

I recently got a LNIB Pre-ban Bushmaster A2 20" from a local dealer that well selling on consignment for $995. The gun is in pre-ban configuration (bayonet & screw on birdcage). I wanted to contact Bushmaster just to see for kicks what date the gun was made on. The serial number on the gun is #L055XXX and when I checked the Bushmaster web site they say that guns serialed from L052XXX to L058XXX have "questionable status" and they will check on it for you if you give them the serial number. Well I sent it in to Bushmaster a week ago and I got this yesterday.

In reference to your inquiry on serial #L055XXX records show this receiver
was manufactured on 5/30/94, prior to the enactment of the 1994
Assault Weapons Ban. As we cannot verify with our own records as to
when subsequently the receiver was built into a rifle, we cannot advise as
to whether the subsequent rifle is either pre or post ban.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
Bushmaster Firearms, Inc.

What exactly does this mean? Since the receiver was built before the ban does that mean I'm ok?

Victor Romen

The key is whether the rifle was assembled into a complete rifle (or collection of parts maybe? Anyone?) before the ban. The receiver could have been manufactured before the ban, but not assembled into a rifle. A key point in the pre/post laws. If it wasn’t a complete rifle before the ban then it’s post ban.

Kaylee

My guess is -- it wouldn't have left the factory in pre-ban condition after the cut-off date. ergo if you have all original factory parts (or at least the original factory barrel and upper) -- you're safe.

That said.. I doubt anyone's gonna be check your serial # and looking it up, unless you either whack someone with the rifle, or publicly voice your "it might not be legal" concerns in a monitored public forum. ;)

-K

Redlg155

Technically, yes it should have been built into a complete rifle prior to the enactment of the bill. If you have serious concerns, contact your dealer and he can give you the name of the person that it was on consignment from. If he was the original owner you could get a notarized letter stating to the fact that he did assemble the lower into a complete rifle to alleviate your concerns.

To be truthful, I wouldn't worry about it. Bushmaster is just releasing a letter like that to cover themselves. You still got a pre ban rifle for a great price. Pre Ban rifles that left the factory as a complete rifle do command a higher premium, but you still got a good deal on yours.

I'd venture to say there are thousands of Pre Ban rifles out there without complete documentation. Years of private sales and even dealer sales have left a vague record at best. I seriously doubt the BATF will persue each and every owner for documentation.

Good Shooting
RED

JIH

I seriously doubt the BATF will persue each and every owner for documentation.
Porobably not... but even if they don't pursue everyone, someone's getting pinched.

Don't tempt fate

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I went through this info-seek for a buddy's DPMS. Same sort of response as the Bushmaster.

Kaylee's comments are dead-on.

Anybody disagrees with the idea that your gun is pre-ban, THEY gotta prove it, and they can't.

Art

Redlg155

I forgot to add,

I recently got a LNIB Pre-ban Bushmaster A2 20" from a local dealer that well selling on consignment for $995.

What your dealer sold you is contrary to what Bushmaster released to you in a letter. According to Bushmaster your rifle is a parts rifle built up from either a complete lower reciever from Bushmaster or a stripped lower reciever. It can't be a LNIB because its not a factory complete rifle.

Bushmaster produced lowers for "kit" guns and complete rifles as they still do today. They cannot give documentation on lowers sold to be assembled by the purchaser, but they can give documentation on rifles that left Bushmaster as a complete rifle.

Check the markings on your barrel and see if you have B/MP 5.56 ...I believe those are the correct marking for a Bushy. Its possible that you have a Rifle assembled with Bushmaster components or with parts from other manufacturers.

Good SHooting
RED