pre-bans

kcub

I have several pre-bans (Daewoo, Galil, Valmet, Armalite AR180, FN FS2000) I love but I'm curious if there is something I don't know about.

I'm especially interested in 223/5.56 caliber (only because of stupid range restrictions in my area).

marine6680

A bit to the side of the main topic...

I know there are preban stuff from before the import restrictions in the early 90s.

And I know during the AWB there were preban ARs that allowed the "evil" features...

But I see people still listing ARs as being preban... Now it makes sense in a few states, but some of these are local listings.

And I see rifles labeled preban that are currently available, like the AUG... Once again, in certain states it makes sense...

I am just curious why people label their items as preban when many times it no longer matters.

Old no longer imported rifles are excused obviously.

fourbore

Daewoo, Galil, Valmet, Armalite AR180, FN FS2000

The Colt AR-15 is an obvious omission. Colt does not even call it an AR-15 anymore. Funny huh. The model was banned, so; Colt decided to rename the gun. Easy enough.

kcub

ARs are not banned in Texas. I forget there are even further infringed 2nd amendment states.

I have one AR, don't need another.

fourbore

These guns (Colt ar15) were banned by name in 1996 for 10 years across the whole country. And if Hillary or Sanders ever get in - and later with a democrat congress you may see that again. With the right supreme court appointment it could be a lot worse than 1996 ever was. Correction, that was 1994.

I miss your point and I know it probably just my ignorance of all guns black.But, I dont know the point of your collection. No disrespect intended. I just missed the point. The Chinese imports are now banned. Different ban.

Last edited:

Skans

When you say "pre-ban" you really need to be specific.

You have a machine-gun ban which was part of legislation passed as part of the Firearms Owner's Protection Act - machine guns made after 1986 banned from ever being owned by a civilian.

There's the 1989 Import ban which essentially banned the importation of AK's from countries like China, as well as the import of other military style guns from foreign countries.

There was the "Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act" otherwise known as the Clinton Assault Weapon Ban of 1994. This is the Ban that expired under the Bush presidency.

Then there are a number of individual state bans on assault weapons and high capacity magazines. These are tricky because some, if not all, of them grandfathered pre-Clinton AWB guns which may still be owned in these states. I think some require registration of these guns.

kcub

I had an HK91 once, good rifle but heavy and 308. The reason I prefer 223/5.56 is my range rules prohibit 308 and 7.62x39. I may get a Krinkov in 223 or 5.45 but my experience is that 5.45 is not as accurate or as available so why bother.

Regarding the Sig 550, the American made don't seem to be as good, but maybe I'm wrong.

dakota.potts

I believe there are Swiss made Sig 550 s which are no longer imported and are considered collectible, so that would constitute a pre ban

Bart Noir

I have several pre-bans (Daewoo, Galil, Valmet, Armalite AR180, FN FS2000)

How the heck can the FN FS2000 be included in this list as a pre-ban? :eek:

It didn't exist early enough to be banned by any of those "bans" which Skans so nicely listed.

Bart Noir

JT-AR-MG42

The FN 2000 does seem newer.
Is that the one where the empties are pushed out through a
tube to the front of the gun's fore-arm?
I remember shooting some FN or HK? post 86 that did that.

FN did make both the CAL and the FNC in .223 though. Pre-ban IIRC.
Enough imported to keep prices under that of an economy auto.

JT

kcub

Perhaps the FS2000 was not made in Belgium? It don't know it's history, it's a recent trade aquisition.

I bought one and some registered full auto sears became available and the price shot up because there was suddenly a big demand for hosts. I bought a sear and I loved it but it got sold along with some other transferables to pay off my mortgage and provide some living expense during my long battle for social security disability. It's a great gun.

Skans

I have an FN FNC. It's a very nicely made 5.56, Belgian made semi-auto rifle. However, the $3,000+ price tag for one of these is not worth it if you just want a great quality semi-auto 5.56 rifle. I'd say that about $1,000 of the price is premium due to the fact that there are still registered sears out there looking for semi-auto hosts. So, unless you have a sear, or know where to buy a registered sear, FNC is too expensive for what it is. You could find a good used SCAR-16s in the $2000+ range.

.......After doing a little checking and rethinking this, I no longer think that $2,500 of the FNC was "full-auto" premium, but after seeing what the SCAR's are selling for and what the all-swiss Sig 550 series rifles are selling for, the FNC isn't that far off the mark for a good European made 5.56 piston/folding rifle. Given that the FNC is no longer made, importable, excellent quality, and a full-auto host, it's probably a good value at 3K!

Last edited: