Pre-ban AR receiver, OK as pre-ban gun?

flinch_of_gt

There's a Bushmaster 20" HBAR target rifle at the local gun shop. A check of the SN verifies that the lower receiver was manufactured prior to Sept. '94 and sold to a dealer. What I don't know is if the rifle was assembled in a pre-ban configuration before the ban took effect. If the previous owner can't provide any sort of documentation, does this mean that I need to remove the flash suppressor and the bayonet lug before I can take it home with me?

ATF wasn't particularly helpful in this regard.

Navy joe

You already understand the correct answer. Unfortunately I think someone would only charge you on this when they were looking for ways to make your "illegal arsenal" appear worse in the local Pravda. I say have your lawyer write the ATF-ups and demand their yea or nay on department letterhead. It should be nay, but if they say yes, keep that letter. In the end with this law and all others petty it is a very individual decision on when to willfully disobey and be happy about it.

dZ

not many manufacturers neutered the ARs features until it was required

not many parts guns were built sans Threaded barrel or lug

whos make is the barrel?
How spendy is the price?

dZ

dZ

so this left bushmaster as a preban lower receiver
and now is equipt as a preban SAW with a Bushmaster upper?

sounds like the right price for a full preban Bushmaster
How could it be proven to be anything else?
The shop would be liable for selling a post ban SAW
They could provide a signed reciept for preban Bushmaster

here is an interesting thread on BATF opinion letters:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=74364

MeekAndMild

When you go to jail and the guy with all the tattoos comes up to you and asks why you're there don't tell him this story. Political prisoners are very low on the pecking order. ;)

Can they PROVE it was ever made into a post ban gun?

Redlg155

Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much. You took measures to verify that the reciever was in fact a pre ban reciever and you bought the weapon in good faith that it was assembled as a full rifle prior to the ban.

As stated previously, have the seller indicate that you purchased a pre ban rifle complete with description of the rifle. $1150 is about right for a pre ban rifle. Many that I have seen have the A1 type upper on them for this price.

If you have doubts about this rifle, just pass it up. The price is average for a pre ban rifle. You can always purchase a pre ban weapon with a known history for the same price and avoid any potential problems in the future. In the very least it will gain you some peace of mind.

Good Shooting
RED