Pre Ban AR mags in a post ban gun

Johnc

This may or may not be a tough one. I live in NY and own a Post ban AR. Can I legally use Pre Ban 30 round AR mags in a post ban AR? My thoughts are no but what say you?

hpg

Unless your state laws prohibit it, you should be okay. The ban ended a couple years ago when the bill sunset after it was 10 years old. You can now use any mag in any gun, unless like I said, your state laws are different than mine.......hpg

Johnc

Unfortunately HPG my state is very different. Brady is alive and doing all too well in NY. It never sunset. That is why my question is specific to this unfortunate state. Most other states do not suffer. Brady is done else where. Thanks though for your reply. Be glad you don't live in NY.

44 AMP

Staff
Check the actual wording of the law...carefully

"grandfathered" (pre-ban) should be ok to use with anything, but may not be if the law is so worded.

You may be able to find the actual text online. Good Luck.

ISC

The only time there is an issue on the legality of magazines that I know of is when your worried about foreign parts count and you're concerned about counting the floorplate and follower as a US part.

not an issue at all for a US made rifle. If you were talking about a AK or SKS you might have a concern.

shaggy

Johnc -

I think you're ok as long as the mag is a preban mag (not dated or marked LE only) and you're not in NYC.