pre '64

dutchy

Can anyone tell me:

What happened at Winchester in 1964.
Why did it happen.
How did it influence their bolt action rifles?

Been reading pre 64 for years, never knew what it meant.

Thanks in advance.

Dutchy

gak

There are others here that can more accurately and comprehensively relate what happened, but generally in a cost cutting move(s), Model 94s, for example, went to stamped rather than machined internals as well as using a cheaper-grade external metal (as can be seen on the bad flaking some receivers have), and on bolts such as the Model 70, the company went to a simpler and cheaper to manufacture push-feed bolt action, rather than the controlled-feed design it is so famous for. (does not mean the former's a bad action and there are many adherents for that type anyway, but the controlled-feed/claw extractor is revered by many for reasons I'm sure others will relate). I do not know when the 94s started being made "right" or near-right again--can someone fill in here, perhaps mid-to-late 70s? -- and it was around 1994 I believe when the "Pre-64 type" controlled-feed action was reintroduced as a regular item on some Model 70s--and this availability continued up until the 70 ceased production this Spring.

Ifishsum

From what I understand, the truly bad ones were '64-68 but they never quite regained their legendary status. The main argument for controlled round feed is that because of the claw extractor, the round is held in place through the entire trip from magazine to chamber - even if the rifle is sideways or upside down. If hunting dangerous game, this positive action seems to be desirable.

CRF can be a bit of a detriment to bench/target shooting because it hinders single loading due to the claw extractor having to ride over the base of the cartridge unless fed from the magazine.

I'm not hung up on either myself, and I own a nice push feed '71 in .30-06, but I'd probably grab a pre-64 if I ran into a deal on one, just to have one :D