Pre-64 Winchester

mesabi

Was at the local shop today and they had two Winchester 94 rifles that just came in. One was in great shape and had a side scope mount and rings. It was marked .30-30, the other one I will go into more detail about was marked .30 WCF. The other was factory original. The stock had two dents in the forearm. The receiver, butt plate, and barrel band had little bluing left. It almost seemed polished.

Cycling the action proved more difficult than the Winchester I own, but looking into the action makes me think it just needs a good scrubbing. I looked up the serial number and it was manufactured in 1941. Can someone verify? Serial number is 1147423.

I asked the owner what he wanted for it and said $450. Is this a good price? I wish I had my camera on me to provide pictures. I believe I looked it over thoroughly and I think the two dents, finish, and cleanliness was all that was wrong with it.

30-30remchester

I am away from my books at this time but after 45 years of collecting these models I do have some knowledge. The price of $450 seems high for a 1941 vintage in the shape you discribe. A friend just purchased a 95% 1941 vintage 94 for $450.

mesabi

I guess it is in very good condition. The barrel has good bluing, the receiver and barrel band are almost completely bare. What would you offer, or would that require pictures?

30-30remchester

I personally would like you to get close up pics if you are buying this as a collector-user gun. A gun you can shoot for years yet still sell for top dollar when the time comes. Many things could have been changed with different era guns, along with different sights, extra holes, recoil pad, sling swivels are a few things that will alter value.