Pre-64 vs Post 64 difference? Or a place to get a cz action??

BornFighting88

New to the forum, but have been a visitor multiple times finding needed information.

If there is already a thread about this (willing to bet that there is) please direct me to it.

Just finished up two custom rifle builds (hobby level, will discuss in another thread). Looking to do a Mannlicher style build out of some sort of Controlled Round Feed action. Have found the website selling Pre-64 actions, but another site selling a post-64 full length stock. My quandry... aside from the obvious things, what are the dimensional differences between the two generations?? Is the receiver considerably different?? Would a pre-64 fit in the post-64 stock without crazy modifications??

Also, since the 550 FS was discontinued in 2017, is there a place to get a CZ 550 action?? Would a standard 550 action fit in their FS stock??

Thanks all.

Scorch

The pre-64 Model 70 stock is different from the post-64, primarily in the distance between the action screws. You can use a post-64 stock, but you will have to rework the rear action screw hole.

jmr40

There are differences between post 64 stocks depending on the bottom metal. Not exactly sure when the change was made but most post 64 rifles use 2 piece bottom metal. At some point in the late 1990's or early 2000's they changed to 1 piece bottom metal.

If you are looking at aftermarket stocks most of them are meant for newer 1 piece bottom metal rifles. It is possible to use a stock cut for 1 piece bottom metal with 2 piece bottom metal by simply placing 2 flat washers between the floor plate and stock.

There will be a tiny gap where the smaller floor plate does not completely cover the stock opening in front of the trigger guard. It is cosmetic and does not effect function. OK on a working rifle, but not what you'd want on a "nice" rifle.

Most people who upgrade to a newer stock also change to 1 piece bottom metal at the same time.

Winchester went back to CRF in 1992. The 1992-2006 made rifles are as good, if not better than pre-64's. One of those would be my choice if building a custom rifle. In fact the 2008-current FN produced model 70's ain't bad. My only small gripe is that they changed the trigger.

Pre-'64 had a flat bottomed forged and milled receiver and whose bolt had an external extractor like that of the Mauser K98k.

Winchester reengineered the design to simplify it by abandoning the controlled feeing in favor of push feed that made it easier (cheaper) to produce. Other changes were included too. The land lamented and there was much gnashing of teef.

stagpanther

If you are enamored of the Mauser style controlled feed action--don't overlook Ruger's Model 77 Hawkeye which in some ways I think is even better than Winnie's current Portuguese production model 70.

BornFighting88

I have considered the M77. Only hesitation, is that I don’t know how true the “investment casting” line is, and that the metallurgy is sub-par to a forged and machined receiver. I’d like to read into that a bit more.

My question circled back to the footprint of the actual receiver. Are there major differences (aside from the action screws, as has been discussed above)….

I’m willing to mess with action holes in an affordable aftermarket stock. If it’s really an option.