Pre 1910 Belgium revolver? (Pics)

chickenman

2nd post here. I have heard good things about this forum.

I received my granddads pistols a few months ago and was wondering about this origin on this revolver. I was told it was Belgium pre 1910 Bulldog. Can some one confirm this?
IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

cnutco

http://www.guns.connect.fi/gow/QA14.html

In Belgium was at least a hundred little anonyme gun manufactures producing cheap pocket revolvers and shotguns. It is impossible to identify exactly the British Bulldog revolver, if the name of manufacturer is not engraved or stamped on it. Usually it was not. The "British Bulldog" was not a trade-mark of a revolver, but a pattern or a family of pocket-sized revolvers, made by (mostly) anonyme Belgian firearms plants, usually located in Liege/Herstal region.

Some Bulldogs were made also in France and original models actually in Britain. Bulldog handguns are more or less faithful copies of WEBLEY "Metropolitan Police" or "Royal Irish Constabulary" revolvers, but calibers of them varied from 5 mm to 11 mm (if not up to .476 Eley or .577 Boxer) European, British or American cartridges. Those same Belgian firms produced also "American Bulldog" revolvers, chambered for the short revolver cartridges popular in USA. There were, of course, produced the "Belgian Bulldogs" too.

It is a beautiful wheelgun!
Google is a wonderful thing.
http://www.guns.connect.fi/gow/QA14.html

James K

Member In Memoriam
It could well be Belgian, though that type of gun was also made in other countries. The grips are apparently replacements and appear to be home made, and the trigger guard is from a larger revolver as well as being damaged.

While those guns present a nice appearance, they were not high priced or high quality. The 1911 ALFA catalog (German) shows nearly identical guns, similarly engraved, selling for 8.50 Marks or about $2.12, roughly the same price range as our inexpensive revolvers of the time. For comparison, a Colt New Service and an S&W M&P were both going for 128 Marks or $32.

Current value is not easily determined; there is a small collector interest, but only if the guns are in near perfect condition. Otherwise, they sell for $50 or so, which, considering inflation, is less than what they sold for new.

Jim