"Practical" 44 Spl loads

ligonierbill

Like a lot of people, I started loading 44 Special because I picked up a Charter Arms Bulldog. Handy little gun, and I worked up 200 gr XTP and GDHP over Power Pistol for about 870 fps. I figured the classic 240 cast might be a little slow, and I'm happy with those.

Can't leave well enough alone, though, so I bought a Ruger Blackhawk "Flat Top", the medium frame, with a 5 1/2" barrel. Also a pretty handy pistol. So, now I'm thinking "Skeeter Skelton" loads. I have read in several sources that Skeeter's load was a 240 cast over 7.5 gr Unique. True? But that's well over Lyman's 6.9 max, and Quickload says it's well over MAP spec. I went with Lyman, and in fact ended up with 6.7 gr Unique sending a Hunters' Supply 240 at 936 avg/9.3 Std. Nice shooter in the Blackhawk.

Now, I have no desire to hotrod this round. Even if the Bulldog would take it, it's lively enough already. I imagine the Blackhawk would put up with more, but I have much more powerful revolvers if more is called for. So what are you folks loading in 44 Special? I'm always game to try something else.

rclark

Well, I use the skeeter load for my normal .44 Specials. Load 6.0g Unique under 240g SWC for the Bulldog. Works for me. One gentleman on another forum did a quick load check on the skeeter load and it came out 16K psi, so it is a bit over SAAMI 15.5K, but not that significant to matter (to me that is). Of course load what you are comfortable with and do your research.

joed

I've used the Skeeter load for years in my N frame S&W revolvers. I would not shoot it in a small frame .44 Spl though, it's too hot.

David R

I have a bulldog and S&W 3" 624.

I would not go over the listed special loads for the Bulldog. I use 6.9 Unique over a 240 cast SWC. This is all I need. I think it would do fine in a defense situation.

The N frame? have at it.

I do not know about the ruger, but there are articles that include specific Rugers and how much they can take.

I blew the top off the Bulldog with Hot loads for the Smith.
Charter sent me a new Bulldog.

Its a long story.

David

GeauxTide

I've got a Lipsey's Bisley and love it. I'm using 8.0gr of Unique under 255 Keith from Matt's Bullets. Cases fall out of the cylinder. Brian Pearce has tested this platform in 44 and 45 Colt, extensively. He reports that this frame can digest 23,000psi.

rclark

GeauxTide, First it's not the frame, it's the cylinder that is the limitation. Second, the 23K reference is to .45 Colt/.45 ACP, which of course does mean the .44 Special with even thicker walls can handle 23K psi as well. I believe for the .44 Special your looking at 25K. Personally though, the Skeeter load is as much as I need/want in this handgun/cartridge. I have shot the Keith load in one of my Ruger .44 Specials.... as a test, but only because I was curious. Far as it went. Have .44 Mags for anything warmer.

{edited} Should add, not talking about Bulldog loads here.... Stay within SAAMI loads ONLY for the little Bulldog.

Last edited:

Real Gun

I use that classic 7.5 gr Unique with 200 grain lead versus 240, and it works really well for me without beating up the gun or the shooter.

RC20

Liked the Bulldog still have it. Have to look at the loads for it.

850 fps I think (never measured) but never wanted fast in that gun.

JeepHammer

Not sure this is what you are looking for, but I've started shooting round balls.
Easy to make, cheap, easy to load, a lot more accurate than I ever thought, and for target 'Down' loads they work great.

With a backstop box I simply recover and remake into new balls.
(Thanks to another forum member for the backstop box idea, with a piece of conveyor belt in the front works great!)