PPS in .40 S&W

WVfishguy

Has anyone had experience with the Walther PPS in .40 S&W?

I currently have a PPS in 9mm, but it's my only 9mm. I reload .40 S&Ws fairly frequently, but do not have 9mm dies.

I'm thinking about trading the PPS 9mm for a PPS in .40, so I could stick with just one semi-auto caliber. However, it occurred to me that the PPS might not be the ideal gun for .40.

I'm not recoil shy, but the .40 is pretty powerful compared to 9mm, and the PPS is small pistol. If anyone could share their experience with their PPS in .40, I'd appreciate it.
(Please don't begin a caliber war - I have nothing against the 9mm, I only wish to consolidate ammo for convenience.)

Nykop

I had a PPS in 40 S&W and was amazed how well it shot the 40. Matter of fact by buddy tried it out at the range and he thought it was a 9mm.

wpcexpert

The PPS in .40 is currently my carry weapon. I like the way it shoots. Very accurate for intended purpose. Out to 10 yds, very tight groups. I did have one of the earlier models where the slide locks up after 150 rds. But 4 days later, it was fixed and back in my waist band. It was a known and common malf for the earlier serial numbers. They knew and had the fix. I've put another 500 or so thru with zero malfunctions of any kind.

rsxr22

i had the exact opposite experience with the .40. I am not recoil shy one bit, but between the pps being light and having such a thin frame, it really makes recoil more felt

Ace_Breaker

I also carry a PPS .40. When it comes to ease of carry and reliability this is the handgun for me. The .40 does kick harder than 9mm. I use a limbsaver slip on grip to reduce felt recoil. You can still feel the snappy recoil. I've fired as many as 200 rounds out of this handgun at a time and you feel it. I don't choose this handgun for plinking. The recoil won't be a concern if the handgun is ever needed in a shooting situation though. I've gone through a bunch of firearms in my search for the right CCW for me and this Walther is it.

WVfishguy

Ace_Breaker; I've fired as many as 200 rounds out of this handgun at a time and you feel it. ... I've gone through a bunch of firearms in my search for the right CCW for me and this Walther is it.
I agree with you that the PPS is THE CCW for me.
And if you can shoot 200 rounds through the PPS in .40 at one time, that's all I need to know :D

I am very grateful all those who answered my query - I deeply appreciate the fact you took the time to help me I this decision.

One more thing, however - does anyone have a particular bullet weight/type in .40 which they prefer for the PPS? I like the fact that you can get 130-180+ grain bullets in S&W .40, so I was wondering which, if any, you guy like to shoot in the PPS?

Ace_Breaker

You are very welcome. I take my choice of CCW very seriously. I've gone through numerous handguns in that search. Note-I only shoot quality Speer or Federal ammo through my handguns. Where reliability was a concern I don't think it was the ammo. I don't like locked and cocked carry. Here is a bit of what I found.

Glock 27-reliable, too thick for IWB if you want that option.

Glock 30-same as above, this is my woods gun though.

Glock 36-this was a close second or third. Reliable, ok for OWB, but not IWB.

Springfield Armory XD sub-compact .40-too thick for IWB like above Glocks, for some reason this handgun kicked like a mule and hurt the hand badly. I could not shoot 200 rounds through this handgun at one time. It caused bleeding and blisters to my hand and also to my shooting partner's hand.

CZ Rami P 9mm, unreliable with constant feed issues that CZ attempted to fix. Never got it reliable.

Taurus PT145-very unreliable, nowhere close to accurate, fell apart on first range visit.

Kahr P45-mags drop while firing, feed and extraction problems. Customer service suggested I go to 500 rounds before calling these problems, right!

Hk P7-this is my runner up. Owned 3 and never had a failure of any kind. I can go on and on about how great this gun is. I think it's a better gun than the Walther, but want to keep it in grade A shape. It's still thicker than the Walther so not as easy for IWB. The finish is not as durable as the PPS.

Detonics Combat Master-Too big compared to the Walther. I don't like locked and cocked carry.

Walther PPK/S-carried this for years but finally decided to get a little more punch out of my CCW.

Walther PPS .40-reliable, super thin for IWB, very accurate, tenifer finish like Glocks for a very durable finish, takes down like a Glock, easy to clean. This baby packs a punch for it's size and I like it! There are break in suggestions on the Walther forum that really work. I had a failure to return to battery a couple of times when it was new. I subsequently lubed according to the break in suggestions and haven't had a glitch since in over 350 rounds.

There are a bunch of others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I've done the same drill for pocket/ankle carry and chose the Ruger LCP. If you step up to compact carry I've gone through a bunch more with the end result being the Hk P2000 as my go to gun. XDM 9mm wins the full sized service level category.

WVfishguy

Ace Breaker's response is exactly what makes the internet a valuable tool:

No BS, very specific, opinions based on experience, not hearsay, and a reason given for each opinion. Just the facts and nothing but the facts.

If every internet poster followed Ace Breaker's example, the world would be a better place, and we'd all be a lot better informed.

Thank you, and well done, Sir! :)

qcpunk

+10 Ace, and +5 for WV.

Ace, Thank you for your post. I have also been planning on getting a PPS in .40 to match my P99 in .40 for CC. While I admit, I there was a 99% probablility that i was going to get it anyways, you just solidified the last 1% of any doubt that may have remained. YAY!!! haha. Now, where to find the $$$ for it :confused:

Kent E

I had a PPS 40 and loved it, the recoil wasn't bad there was a lot of bark though. I think you'd be fine with a 40.

Xfire68

A friend of mine just bought one a few weeks ago and I got to shoot it for a afternoon and other then the 6 shoots it's a fine gun and would make a great CCW. The accuracy was fantastic at 25 feet.

Sarge

All good posts.

As an longtime handgunner and old LE Instructor, I'd just like to interject something here- you don't really need to shoot 200 rounds from your belly gun, at one setting, to stay sharp with it. In fact if high-volume shooting induces flinching or fatigue, it's downright counterproductive.

For once a month sessions, 50 is plenty and 25 rounds will do it if you practice with a purpose. Shoot more often if you can, even if it means burning less ammo. You'll probably find that your shooting improves and you like your little blaster a whole lot more.

pelo801

i would say +1 on the pps in 40. it's my daily carry. i don't think the recoil is bad at all. as said above, the recoil is snappy, but i find it to be very comfortable and accurate, for me anyways, out to about 30 feet. i really like the mag release. i am getting close to about 2500 rounds through it, and no problems. not one ftf, fte, none.