PPQ M2: Minor Design Annoyance

TunnelRat

This likely falls in the :rolleyes: category of complaints, but I'm ready for the rotten fruit.

So I spent a lot of time dry firing and handling my PPQ M2 yesterday. In that process I noticed something. When Walther redesigned the magazine release for the button, they added a bit of a shelf underneath the button. My guess is this was done to prevent the button from being hit accidentally. That's all well and good. The problem isn't that, it's the fact that its reversible. You see on the other side of the grip what you're left with is a piece of polymer jutting out there. Now on the side you choose to have the button it's a non-issue as the button occupies that space. However, assuming you keep the button on your thumb side this means you have a nice little piece of polymer jutting between your index finger and middle finger of your shooting hand. And with a grip that is very sculpted in the front it is very noticeable. As in annoyingly noticeable.

Now I don't blame Walther per se, the way around it would to have been to sink the button into the frame and I'm not sure how feasible that was as they had to modify an existing design. But by basically adding material in an area where there was no material before it mars what is otherwise to me a perfect grip. Obviously the issue doesn't affect the paddle style. I attached some pics so you can see yourself. Is it a minor gripe? Prob, but it does feel darn weird (stick something between those two fingers while holding a pistol to get an idea). More so when I know what the alternative could be.

-TR

Attachments

• IMG_20130321_203520_989.jpg
    IMG_20130321_203520_989.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20130321_203538_822.jpg
    IMG_20130321_203538_822.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20130321_203621_848.jpg
    IMG_20130321_203621_848.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 142

dayman

is it something you could sand off? Assuming you're not planning on changing it to the other hand or selling it that is....

chrisp51

It took me a while to get use to the mag release on my PPS but now I prefere it over the push button style.

longjohn6284

i still dont know why they changed the mag release, i think once you get used to the paddle style, about an hour, it is vastly superior...at least in my opinion...you do not need to change the grip at all to activate it...

i also think they made a mistake by not making the magazines between the classic and m2 compatible...but hey what do i know

blfuller

I would agree completely. Going back for the P99 tomorrow.

If you go with the P99 aren't you going to be giving up the nice trigger of the PPQ? I understood the PPQ and P99 have different lockwork.

Or are you just going to have both?:D

TunnelRat

If you go with the P99 aren't you going to be giving up the nice trigger of the PPQ?

I'll say this and save Fishbed some work.

The PPQ is not an "improvement" of the P99. It's essentially a different version. The P99 has an amazing trigger as well. It has the exact same reset. The only difference is it has a DA first trigger pull (and a very nice one at that). Some folks prefer that, some folks don't. The P99 in SA actually has a lighter trigger pull than a PPQ. The trigger is just as nice.

If it was an original PPQ, I wouldn't really have any gripes. But I just don't see the appeal of this change. Essentially it should make folks used to the "traditional" method happy. But frankly I don't think it was executed overly well. But to do so they had to change the original design of the pistol, and I never expect something like that to go very well.

wild cat mccane

you are the guy that ditched his P30's right? How are you liking the less abrading PPQ grip?

nice to see you back to the Walthers. :)

Yes. Annoying.

Thanks to everyone who couldn't learn the superiority of the paddle release.

It really is Walthers fault. They could easily have made a youtube with a person point a gun at a wall with a laser on. I bet $100 that even a profession shooters laser moves less with the paddle release than the thumb release.

but what do I know. :)

And a correction: the P99's AS trigger is actually 4.5lb on single action. That is less than the PPQ.

ScotchMan

And considering you can safely carry the P99 in Anti-Stress mode with that lighter pull, it really gives up nothing to the PPQ.

This was good info TR, thanks. That would drive me crazy.

kinoons

I had a p99 AS and a PPQ, and gave up on the p99 for the PPQ. For me, I couldn't get used to the slight resistance and pop when the AS mode passed the notch for the short SA mode. I could feel it and it drove me nuts. I know it was a minor issue, but the PPQ trigger just felt better for me.

TunnelRat

that I don't see why anyone bothers with an ambi mag release on a pocketgun. It's not like such guns are winning any matches, or like you are likely to survive needing a speed reload of a pocket gun.

You must have massive pockets if you're carrying a PPQ in them...

dayman

I managed to get mine into my vest pocket when I went out to shoot earlier today. A bit of it was sticking out, so I guess it would have been "open pocket carry" but it was in there.

I'm guessing there was confusion between the PPQ and the PPK.