PPQ Classic finds a new home...

WVsig

Well I have been on the look out for one of these at a reasonable price and I was able to find one yesterday. At $450 I simply could not pass it up. Came with everything in the original box + 3 P99 mags. Mags looks to be identical except that the PPQ mags have red followers and are of course marked PPQ not P99 on the base plate.

Obligatory cell phone pic ;) Better pics to come after first range session.

LNIB previous owner claims to have never fired it. Bought it from Bud's put it in the safe and never shot it. From my initial inspection it looks like he is telling the truth. Can anyone tell me what color the original packing grease is on a PPQ? Looks like gun has been lubed with Slide-Glide to my eyes but it could be factory grease. Hard to mistake that red grease/jelly. LOL Gun was not in a plastic bag or wrapper so I am leaning towards the original owner cleaning and lubing it before putting it in the safe.

The build quality on this gun is excellent. Puts the Glock 19 that is already in the safe to shame. I am not sure the polymer has the same heft quality feel in the hand that HKs do but it is sweet. The small grip is on the gun which is the one I prefer. The only cheap part about the gun is the sights as other have noted but they are easily replaced if you choose.

The paddle mag release was not a make or break part of the deal for me. I wanted to give it a try so I am glad this PPQ has the paddle release. The majority of the guns I own have a mag release button so that is my standard manual of arms. I believe it will take a little time to get used to dropping the mag on this pistol with proficiency. During a mag change finger is out of the trigger training it to drop the mag should be easy enough but I am willing to bet my thumb presses the frame for a while. ;)

I cannot get to the range today but hopefully over the weekend I get out and put some rounds down range. Will update once I do. I will most likely bring a Glock 19, Sig P228 and BHP for points of comparison. Mainly looking to test for function. I have shot the PPQ before but not extensively. So far I am impressed!!!!

Last edited:

sigarms228

Congrats on a great score! :cool:

I should have my Illinois CCW soon and my PPQ will be my main CCW pistol in an OWB Raven Concealment Phantom holster.

Looking forward to your range report!

longjohn6284

congrats...more that 4000 rounds in mine and not 1 misfire.

although the trigger may ruin you when looking for other handguns...you will always hope for a trigger like the Q, but they all come short

Worc

Wow, that's a heck of a deal! I like my PPQ M1 and it's made me a little more of a fan of the striker design. Mine seems to be very accurate no matter who I let shoot it. I like the paddle release so much, I wish all of my auto loaders had them instead of the more traditional buttons.

Fishbed77

You stole that gun...... Welcome to the best striker fire on the market.

Well... 2nd best, after the P99AS. ;)

Regardless, that's a great price for a superb pistol. I plan on picking up the next PPQ Classic I come across, since I have no interest whatsoever in the PPQ M2, which is a step backwards for Walther IMHO.

SpareMag

Great find! I have M1s (aka, the REAL PPQ) in 9 and 40. Absolute treats to fire!

It is good you were wise enough to not settle for the fake PPQ with the button mag release! ;)

kinoons

Welcome to the ppq club, I too have am m1 and greatly perfer it to the P99 I had and sold in the past. The trigger on the PPQ gives my HK P7M8 a strong run for its money, thats how good the walther is.

Uncle Malice

Congratulations man. The trigger was quite impressive. I ended up letting mine go... I just didn't connect with it. Not from a shooting perspective, just from a feeling-in-my-hand perspective. The weird hump on the back just didn't feel right to me. Build quality was good. Easy of swapping sights was VERY impressive for me. I wish more guns did that. I didn't like how tall and sharp the rear sight was. It made quick reloads painful.

I didn't find the build quality to be any better than the M&P or XDM.

joe-lumber

M 1

Is it just the light off the flash but the Mags look used? I have an M2 and it shoots very well. It is one that where the 3 dots point that is where the shot is going. It has a bit more recoil than my Glock 19 but it feels better than the Glock. I have almost purchased another in M 1 but I guess I only need one.

WVsig

Well I finally got to the range. Took the PPQ and the Glock 19.

I have to be 100% honest I am not a huge Glock fan but I respect them as the polymer striker 9mm that all others are judge against IMHO. I have always shot the Glock a bit left. I think its the grip but come to think of it I shoot my poly guns left. :rolleyes: I keep it only as a frame of reference not because I love shooting it. It is sort of out of respect.

Well the PPQ smoked it. It took me about 1/2 a box to get fully up to speed with the PPQ. The trigger is smooth and the reset is about as good as I have ever shot. It was a soft recoiling gun and with the small back strap it fit my hand well. I was able to get my hand much further in the grip due to the beavertail like grip backstrap. This design helped me feel like I was more in line with the bore axis of the pistol. With this grip and quick reset allowed me to shoot this pistol at speed easily. It got back onto target quickly with little effort. The front sight returned to target quickly and consistently. Really cannot ask for more.

Gun fired 100% and was flawless. It did not miss a beat. I ran rounds through all the mags and shot about 150 rounds. I shot 124gr Freedom Munitions factory new ammo and fiocchi ammo 115gr. The fiocchi ammo is much hotter and the recoil was much stiffer but the PPQ soaked it up. The fiocchi is close to +P so I assume it will have no issues handling +P defense ammo.

One thing I did notice is that the brass is hitting the slide near the ejection port leaving some brass marks. I really don't care as long as the gun functions but to me it does confirm that the pistol had not been shot before it came into my hands.

The mag release was ok. I liked it but am used to the button release and found myself "feeling" for the lever with my trigger finger before getting the mag out. Again this will require more time on the gun but I did not see it as a negative feature just a matter of muscle memory and training.

This was a 5 round target at 10 yards which was shot midway through the session. It is a little left which I find I shoot with poly pistols. Less heft cause me to drift left. I do not shoot a lot of poly guns. In general I shoot alloy and steel frames. This was not slow fired but each shot was lined up. Clearly the pistol can group and the left is the indian not the arrow. I believe with a little more time on this trigger I should be able to move this group to the center. If it ends up sitting in the safe like the Glock it will stay left. LOL

This is a target from 15 yards where I was shooting at a decent speed. Not sighting in every shot but shooting once the pistol returned to a proper sight picture and the trigger had reset. I would not say I was running the trigger as fast as I can but I was not slow shooting.

Overall I am very please. It shot better than the Glock and it felt better in the hand then the Glock. Sights were a push. Glock has never hiccuped so again a push. I like it better than any other striker fired pistol I have owned and I have owned a few, Glock, XD, Kahr, Steyer right off the top of my head. The gun shot and felt better in my hands. I am looking to get my hands on one of the new HKs VP9 and see how it compares but for now this is the best striker fired pistol I have come across. I recommend getting you hands on one.

Last edited:

Dirty_Harry

If they made the long slide with the paddle mag release I would probably get one. For now I will stick with my vp9 and fns9.

Congrats on your purchase and good shooting.

PP99

Love my PPQs. If they made the long slide with the paddle mag release, I would probably get another PPQ. For now my Steyr L9-A1 and I like the MR9 Eagle 4.5

AustinTX

Nice review! Thanks for sharing!

This and several other poly guns (PX4 in .40, P30, VP9) are definitely on my to-buy list, but they're way down on the list, since they aren't hard to find. Reviews like this, however, make me want to go out and buy one.