PPK/S Slide Problem

Drunk Fat Man

I have a .32 ACP PPK/S. The slide is very sensitive in the open position. When the slide is locked open, if I just touch the slide or load another mag it will close.

I imagine it is a weak slide stop spring or recoil spring. I can buy recoil springs online but cannot find any slide stop springs. I checked all the usual places (Numrich, gunsprings.com, etc.) but can't find one.

If you know where I can buy one please let me know. Or if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks

Delaware_Dan

I don't think it's the spring. When you load a mag do you usually press the slide lock to "slingshot" the slide foward, or do you pull the slide back and let it go foward? If you usually press the slide stop to chamber the first round the slide lock could be worn, thus causing your problem.

HammerBite

The ejector serves the secondary purpose of latching the slide open after the last shot. If the ejector (not slide stop) spring was weak that would not cause the problem you are having because the ejector spring pushes the ejector down out of engagement with the slide.

After the last shot, or when the slide is opened over an empty magazine, the magazine follower should push the ejector up into engagement with the slide.

Field-strip the pistol and check to see if the ejector is able to move freely up and down. Its normal position should be down without a magazine present.

Then insert an empty magazine and make sure the follower rises fully to the top of the magazine tube while lifting the ejector. Mash the follower down a little with your finger and make sure it comes back up all the way while lifting the ejector. It should not come back up sluggishly; that would indicate a weak magazine spring or a dirty magazine.

If the pistol passes this test I would begin to suspect excess wear of the engagement sufaces between the slide and the ejector.

Last edited: