PPK questions

epic4444

i was wondering if the ppk and the ppk/s can take the same clips or is there a difference in the length? and also i was wondering if anyone has one and carries what holster they use? thanks

blume357

I'm pretty sure they are different.... and don't get confused by the

ppk and ppk/s thing... If you are going the PPK route I would suggest the newer Smith and Wessons only... in stainless. Best holster I have is a Bianchi 100-9. this is a high quality (professional) inside the waste band holster that fits the PPK and feels great at 4 0'clock.

Magyar

what holster they use?

The PPK is slightly smaller and makes an excellent "pocket carry", especially w/o using the extended magazine. I've never given much thought about holster carry using that function for larger calibers...:)
PPKauto.jpg

HighValleyRanch

magazines are the same

I believe that the magazines are the same. I have an interarms PPK, and am using my brothers old PPK/S walther 7 round mag in it fine. The catch is at the top, so the bottome sticking out doesn't matters.....ala glock 26 using glock 19 mags.

Mine sits in a safariland IWB soft holster or in my carharts in a pocket holster I made. I prefer the PPK over the PPK/S for the shorter length as well.

I have the blue version and it is holding up fine (2 years) but like the SS as well. As it's a carry gun, I don't worry too much about it getting scratched up. It's a tool. My glock (1st gen) looks like it's been through a war but is one of the best shooting tools i have!

As far as SW vs interarms, I can only speak for the latter, and it shoots incredible and doesn't jam. The opposite of what I've heard of the SW's.
See the post "are .380's accurate" and you can see a 2" group I shot with my PPK at 15 yards.

Dfariswheel

As above you can use a PPK/s magazine in either the PPK/S or the PPK, but you cannot use a PPK magazine in the PPK/s.

The PPK/s is basically a Walther PP model fitted with the shorter barrel and slide of the PPK.
The PPK/s uses the same 7 shot magazine as the PP model, but the PPK uses a shorter 6 round magazine.
You can use the longer PP-PPK/s magazine in the PP, the PPK/s, or the PPK, but the shorter PPK magazines will fit ONLY the PPK.

The Walther PP series guns are magazine sensitive and you're strongly advised to buy ONLY genuine Walther magazines.
Too many people have reported problems with after-market magazines.

JFN

New guy here, I've been reading a lot on the forums, and belong to several others, but I don't post much. I've always learned a lot more by reading, than from talking. And fortunately there is always plenty to read and learn here. :D

I have an Interarms PPK and thought I'd actually post some pictures of what it looks like with the longer PPK/s mags. My PPK is my warmer weather gun, since it is so easy to conceal, and I use a SmartCarry now rather than a holster. With the SmartCarry you can really go minimal on the cover, just a pair of elastic waist shorts and a tucked in T-shirt will do.

She's a little worn since I have been carrying it since '87, but is completely reliable. I don't remember having a failure with it since the ejector broke about two years ago and I replaced it.

The longer mags are exactly one round longer as you can see in the photos. The bottom plate will hook your finger about the same as the "pinky" gripper on the PPK mags. I use mine at the range though, and carry the PPK mags. So far I have gotten three of the PPK/s mags used at gun shows pretty cheap, so they are certainly an option if you want some extra mags.

Last edited:

HighValleyRanch

longer mags for PPK

On ebay, there's someone selling longer 10 rd. aftermarket mags for the PPK.

Anyone ever try these out. I imagine it would look like a glock 26 with a glock 17 mag sticking out, but thought it might be good for a backup mag.
That would give 17 rds. with the gun and extra mag.

What company makes those wood grips for your PPK?

JFN

That's why I use the longer mags at the range, it holds an extra round.

You can actually put the mag extension bottom plate from the PPK mags on the longer PPK/S mags. It still leaves about a quarter inch gap between the grip and the extension, but you get the curved "hook" and an extra round. Or you can use the flat bottom plate from the PPK/S mags on the PPK mag to get rid of the finger extension and shorten the grip up some.

The wood grips are Hogue. Walther PPK - Checkered - Coco Bolo They come smooth as well as checkered. They are wrap around grips like the originals, and a really nice fit.

Magyar

Looking at the pic with the PPK/s extended mag, from a purist view: crude & amateurish....My opinion, of course...Not bad for use on the range, but why for an extra rd.? For a carry piece it looks like "snag-city" all over it....I just don't like short-cuts....:)

JohnKSa

Administrator
For a carry piece it looks like "snag-city" all over it...
I agree--in fact I don't even use the finger-rest magazines for that reason. On the OTHER hand, there might be some value in carrying a PPK/S mag as a spare. You'd get an extra round (in the very unlikely event you needed a reload) and wouldn't be paying the "snag penalty".

I've owned a PPK for many years and this thread was the first time I realized that it would function with PPK/S magazines. Just goes to show that you can always learn something new!