PPK or similar?

NCHornet

Ok y'all here is the story. I was really into guns about 10 years ago and developed a nice collection. Got into reloading and quickly stored up 12,000+ rounds of various ammo. Then I was struck down with a severe illness and the guns sat in the safe. I am now getting back into guns and shooting. I have a CCW and carry a Glock23 at all times, I also have a Model 60 J frame that I carry in my back pocket when the Glock is to large. I have several other revolvers and semi's that I can carry but are all full size, I have always wanted an older PPK but they have really gone up in $$ in the last 10 years. My question is what other guns in the 380 and up class, and around the same size as the PPK would you recommend? Our small local gun shop had a new S&W PPK, and a Keltec 380, I liked the PPK but am a little worried about quality, the Keltec felt like a piece of junk in my hand!! It was brand new and the finsih was terrible, with scratches and places where the finish just didn't take very well. I want a quality firearm. I have read a lot on here about the Bersa. Back in the day Bersa was not known for quality guns but this may have changed, I don't know. I don't want something to thick and something that will carry nicely in a pocket holster. I appreciate the info it will save me a lot of time. With all CCW guns reliability is a must!
Merry Christmas
To All

Christian 812

What about a Sig 232 in .380 ?
Quality engineered, reliable ... haven't compare the sizes with PPK and in the same tradition !?

Also, a H&K P2000 SK (9mm / .40 or .357) could be another good choice ... I had one and it conceal anywhere you want.

Duxman

I understand you like 380 ACP, but a weapon in the same sized as the PPK but with full 9mm power is the Kahr. They make them in K9 and MK9s now. Full power 9mm luger in a PPK package.

But if you insist on a 380 ACP - the Bersa is the best buy on the market now. The finish is not as good as a walther, but the reliability certainly is there.

A cheaper alternative is a Makarov. I have one - its heavy, ugly but reliability and accuracy are unquestionable. The Ruskies know how to make them. :D

EIGHTYDUECE

If you are looking for a cheap alternative to a PPK, I say look into a Bersa or a FEG PA-63.

The Makarov is a very nice pistol, but it is the size of a PP not a PPK. The Sig 232 and Khar are very nice but they cost more than a new Walther PPK.

AK103K

I'll second the SIG P232, and dont forget the P230. They preceded the 232 and I actually like them better. They are also to be had for pretty cheap. I paid $250 for my first, and $300 for the second, both in pretty much new shape.

npv

One for PPK

I have a PPK -- I like it a lot. When I first got it I was not very happy... it takes maybe 400-500 rounds to loosen it up but after that I got used to its recoil and carry it often.

Not a firearm I want to spend a lot of time with on the range but nice carry weapon.

- npv

NCHornet

Let me clear something up before we get to many replies. I am not a real fan of the 380 acp, this is simply the minimum that I would consider in a CCW weapon. I would prefer a 9mm or 40 cal but don't want a thick profiled gun. Single stacked 380's are nice and slim and easy to hide with a pocket holster. Like the idea of a Sig if it can be had for -$300. Man it's not to often I miss living in the big city but I sure do miss having a nice large gun shop near by. One where you can have a list of guns and go to one place and see them all. The onlt Bersa's I have seen in person were 10 years ago and they were very thick, is the Bersa 380 as thin as a PPK? What about the Sig? I sure appreciate the help y'all and reckon the next gun show in Winston Salem or Greensboro will be the best place to see all these different guns. Keep the ideas coming.

ZBoater

Here are some pics of a Bersa 380 next to my Walther PPK/S. I would highly recommend the Bersa, and even the Bersa 380 Concealed Carry, if you are on a budget.

From left to right: Bersa 380 Concealed Carry, Walther PPK/S, Bersa 380.

bersa380cc_3_tn.jpg

From top to bottom: Bersa 380, Walther PPK/S, Bersa 380 Concealed Carry.

bersacc380_2_tn.jpg

Bersa 380 and PPK/S side by side

ppkthundercase_tn.jpg

Dfariswheel

Take a look at the Kahr Arms 9mm and .40 caliber guns.

These range in size from the PPK/s size DOWN to guns that are as small as a lot of .25 and .32 autos used to be.

These are the Cadillac of CCW small autos.
These are double action-only guns with a trigger that feels like a well tuned S&W revolver.
They have a much simpler design than the Walther/Bersa/Sig .380's, have better sights, are more reliable, and are top-of-the-line quality.

The steel framed K9/K40 and MK9/MK40 have very excellent reputations, and the polymer framed guns can actually be carried in a pants pocket.

My stainless K9 is about as thin as my Walther PPK/s was, and it was so much better a gun, that I sold the Walther.
The Kahr has replaced the Walther as this generations "Gold Standard" in CCW guns.

http://www.kahr.com/

NCHornet

Thanks for those pics, I will also look at the Kahr. For the past hour or so I have been doing some research on the Bersa. It is also made under the name Firestorm and Eagle for anybody that wants to know. I like the looks of the gun and found something unusual, the Ultracompact Thunder 9mm is actually smaller than the same Thunder 380 ACP? The 380 is 6.61L X 4.72" T X 1 7/16" W.
The 9MM version is 6.5" L X 4.5" T X 1.5" W, SO THE 9MM is 1/16" wider and almost 1/4" shorter. These mesurements came off different sites, but if they are accurate I would purchase the 9mm for sure. The 9mm is about $125 more retail, they show it at $370 in SS and the 380 in Nickel Alloy is $240, although many reviews gave even lower prices.

Then I went to the SIG website and I have to say the P232 (NEWER version of the P230), is one of the most beautiful handguns I have ever seen! The P232 is a 380 ACP with dimensions of 6.61" L X 4.7" T X 1.2" W, so the Sig is much thinner than the Bersa, which is very important for a pocket gun. The list price was over $700 bucks but some of you are claiming picking these up for under $300, I will have to do some research on pricing. I must say the Sig is a very sleek and beautiful gun and if can truly be had for under $300 I think I might just have to have it. However if the same is true for the Sig as the Bersa and a 9mm is the same size or just slightly larger I may go up to the 9mm. I haven't researched this possibility yet.
I did read on a couple different reviews that when using blunt JHP on the Bersa that the feedramp tends to get dinged up pretty good after 1,000 rounds or so. They suggested using FMJ rounds for plinking and only shooting the JHP on a limited basis.
So some more research is needed, but I sure do appreciate the help, y'all are great.
Thanks Again

EDIT:
The SIG P239 is the 9mm compact and is only 1/4" taller than the P232, and also has a 8rnd capacity verses the 7rnd of the P232, although the P239 doesn't have that sleek profile of the P232 and 1/4" can be a lot when holding in your hand, that is why a gun show to see all of these is a must. I am now going to look at the Kahr's.

sanson

I love my Colt mustang 380.. real small, 7 shots & whatever fits in the magazine comes out the business end.(even crappy reloads):eek:

NCHornet

The Kahr is a possibility but getting pricey. I would really like to stay under $500, $300 would be great. I don't know where you above stole your Sig P230 and P232 for under $300 because the cheapest one I see on Gun Broker is $425 and the reserve is not met. I believe it was a used gun as well, which doesn't bother me as long as it was taken care of. At $300 you got a heck of a deal. I really think the Sig P230 & 232 is a sharp looking gun and exactly what I am looking for. I will have to see them in person to see if the 9mm will work for me or not. This will not be a 100% carry gun, just when concealment is high and clothing is more casual, otherwise my main carry gun is the Glock 23 with 15 rounds of 40 cal.
Thanks again y'all.
Kevin

AK103K

I have a P239 in 357SIG. While it is about the same size as a P230/P232 side by side looking at the pics, its a good bit fatter and heavier, and really not a pocket gun. I really dont consider the P230 to be a pocket gun either, but I suppose if you have big pockets.

The 357SIG is a good bit hotter than the .380, and the P239 is very shootable and accurate, even in the hotter caliber.

I dont think you can go wrong with any of the SIG's. They all are very reliable and accurate, and I have yet to have one that didnt have a very nice DA trigger.

PSP

My daily carry is a Sig P232. I would recommend it or the Beretta 85. I own both but carry the Sig only because it weighs a little less than the Beretta. Both are very accurate, easy to conceal and very, very reliable. The Sig with Hogue rubber grips fits my hand like a glove.

I recently purchased my second P232 for $315 in ANIB condition. The last Beretta I bought was $400 ANIB also, so these guns can be had for a good price. I used to own the Bersa, but sold it. IMHO it didn't stack up quality wise to the Sig or Beretta.

Here's the Sig with a Galco Fletch, (very confortable), and some friends.
sigbluewithGalco.jpg

Bill DeShivs

"the Keltec felt like a piece of junk in my hand!! It was brand new and the finsih was terrible, with scratches and places where the finish just didn't take very well. I want a quality firearm."

I can assure you the Keltec is a quality firearm. There is no lighter, thinner, 380 made. If you are going to pocket carry you want the lightest gun you can get. They are not finished like a 1950s Browning. They are quite simply tools. And they are the best tools you can get for their intended purpose-pocket carry. You can carry a brick in your pocket, and it won't feel like a "piece of junk" if weight is your criteria. The Bersa is a nice gun, but it's too large and heavy for COMFORTABLE pocket carry.
Bill

DBski

Try the Bersa or Firestrom mini 45, if you can get them. Reliable good accruracy for self defence, price is right.

michael t

Buy a used Interarms PPK/S and do a hammer and recoil spring change better thanS&W and a lot cheaper. Great pocket pistol'

As for Bersa and Firestorm yes Bersa makes both. Eagle isn't a pistol they are importer and dist .

http://bersatalk.com

ZBoater

The Bersa Ultra Compact 9mm is also an excellent choice. It is slightly bulkier than the 380, but it has 13+1 9mm rounds. I also owned one of them and highly recommend it for the price. I ended up keeping my Beretta 9000s for daily carry because I really liked the ergonomics of it, but it is an acquired taste - many people HATE the 9000s because of its ergonomics. I also like the fact I can share mags with my M9 making my days at the range a lot more fun.

The Bersa UC9 has decocker, safety, 13+1 rounds, with the only drawback being the cost of extra mags - $40-50 EACH! :eek:

Pic of a Bersa UC9

bersa_mini1.jpg

Pic of a Beretta 9000s

beretta9000.jpg

Last edited: