PPK- go Interarms or SW?

defjon

I admit that when it comes to this design, I am fairly ignorant. I'd like to own one in stainless. Some gun stores stock the SW made Walther, while a local man is selling his Interarms gun.

Which would you recommend? Which is easier to find wood grips for? This is to the people who know, love, collect, and shoot Walthers- I field this question to you...

Willie Sutton

The German ones are one of the finest small automatics ever manufactured. DA/SA, naturally, and exceptional fit and finish. I carried one for a decade and it was always a thing of joy. By todays standards they are a little heavy for a .380, but they are very usable EDC pistols and ought to last several lifetimes.

S&W ones .... well..... it's a S&W Orphan. I've handled them and have never been impressed with fit, finish, or anything else about them. Other opinions vary. Handle both and see how you like them both. Neither will likely be "bad"... the German ones are just "nicer".

Willie

geetarman

I have had 3 in my life. One German, one Interarms import and one built by Smith and Wesson.

I really did not have problems with any of them, but the Smith and Wesson built gun is really nice and has never failed.

I don't know about putting wooden grips on them, what came on is fine for me.

S&W ones are generally not well liked.... it's a S&W Orphan.

Don't think I would agree with that. There were some issues a few years ago with the Smith and Wesson built guns, but I think those issues have been worked out. I have had mine for a couple of years now and have shot 2 different weight bullets from 2 manufacturers and have never experienced a failure of any sort.

They are nice pistols.

Geetarman:D

Rodger_p

I like my PPK/s from S&W. Some disagree, but I really appreciate the extended tang that prevents slide bite.

-Rodger

btmj

Before putting down money for the SW PPK, be sure to handle (and if you can) shoot the Bersa Thunder 380. It started as an Argentine clone of the PPK, but over time it has evolved into a better weapon IMO.

Noreaster

+1 for what btmj said. If your heart is set on a Ppk then get it, but several people I know have bought the Bersa and really like it, plus the Bersa feeds HP without a hitch.

wild cat mccane

OH? is the Bersa a ppk clone or a PPK/S clone? I though it was a PPK/S clone and the original poster was asking about a ppk?

The S&W is the better despite what is said all over the place on the net. You get your hand covered better by their extended tail. Lifetime warranty.

Interesting bit, Ruger makes the frame for S&W on the PPK and PPK/S

cohoskip

120_2004.jpg

My S&W PPK/S with rosewood grips...

JJW

I have owned a PPK/s by Interarms in the past and really liked it, but you have to be careful of "slide bite". I have not owned a S&W version, but I do own a Bersa Thunder 380. After shooting the Bersa, I personally would not return to the Smith & Walter version. $550 to $599 for a new PPK/s versus $269 to $289 for a Bersa. Many people base thei opinion on the higher the price the better the quality. I disagree. Remember the Bersa is made in Argentina without high labor union costs to pass on. And yes, wood grips are available for the Bersa at a reasonable price.

gyvel

OH? is the Bersa a ppk clone or a PPK/S clone?

It is neither; The Bersa has some general similarities to a PP, PPK, or PPK/S (i.e. double action, slide mounted safety, recoil spring around the barrel, etc.), but it is most definitely NOT a clone or even close to it.

HisSoldier

I've heard and read much about the supposed inferiority of the S&W. I own both an Interarms and an S&W and find very little difference in the fit and finish between the two.

IMightBeWrong

I like the Smith, personally. I base that on the extended tang to protect from slide bite. The kinks are all worked out in my experience as well. Great pistols. I agree that the finish is better on the German made models, but I still prefer the Smith in the end as I've found it just as reliable and accurate but with no more slide bite!

Ozzieman

I have a thing for PPK’s and have owned several. The first was a stainless S&W, I am also very much an S&W fan. The S&W was a total piece of junk. I don’t think it went through more than a couple of magazines without a failure to feed in 400 rounds. Several gun smiths looked at it and tried numerous different magazines and rounds. I gave up on it and bought a used German.
Since others are throwing names around, the 380 I like better than the Walther is the Mauser HSc if you can find one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_HSc

Kreyzhorse

I was recently shopping for a PPK myself and was impressed with the fit and finish of the S&W PPK. The gun also points like a dream. With that said, I ended up with a Walther PPS. My research pointed that the PPK is generally a well made, reliable gun but the PPS is even more impressive.

The PPS is about the same size as the PPK but comes in 9mm and 40 acp. I bought the 9mm version and as an added bonus, the PPS is actually made in Germany. Sorry to digress, but just thought I'd share my recent PPK experience.

SilentHitz

Can't speak to the S&W, never owned one. Have a stainless Interarms that has given me zero problems. Has eaten all brands of ammo I've fed it.

2010_0406pics19110020.jpg

Willie Sutton

" like the Smith, personally. I base that on the extended tang to protect from slide bite."

And that tang makes it harder to conceal and almost impossible to withdraw from a pocket. That "improvement" seems to have been designed specifically to act as a pocket-trap. Put one of each into the front pocket of a set of Dockers and come back and tell us how it worked out for you... :rolleyes:

Willie

wild cat mccane

When I said "clone" I meant to say the Bersa is similar sized to a PPK/S than it is to a PPK.

You do have to love the PPK to justify not getting a PPS. Probably going to run into the problem I had with a lighter PM40 I had, the weight makes the pistol bang into your leg each step you take. So it may fit in the pocket, but it will not be comfortable. At that point the PPS is just as good if not better.

That said I am still considering a PPK right now.