PPC shooters, where are they?

chris in va

Browsing through my Lyman manual I see the 6mm PPC is touted as the most accurate cartridge. Maybe my range is just not ideal for benchrest shooters, but I've yet to see anyone shooting one (or similar) in 7 years going there.

Is this more of an elite, cult cartridge that requires secret meetings and a special ring?:p

emcon5

Have you gone to benchrest matches, or are you just saying you don't see them at the public line at your local range?

old roper

I have few tight neck rifles that I use for varmint shooting and one is a 6ppc.

Outside of trying new bullet or something it doesn't spend much time at the range.

Tony Z

I remember reading a lot about the PPC thing decades ago, then don't seem to hear much anymore (could be what I'm reading or not reading), but could the PPC thing also have been a somewhat regional cartridge?

old roper

Sako sold rifles chambered for the 22/6ppc and Ruger sold bolt action and #1 chamber for the 22/6ppc.

My 6ppc is Hart barrel with .262 neck build on Ruger #1 with set triggers. It started life as factory #1 chambered for 22ppc.

emcon5

I've just never seen anyone with a PPC rifle is all. I guess it's more of a club thing.

Have you gone to benchrest matches, or are you just saying you don't see them at the public line at your local range?

chris in va

I haven't seen one at or 300 yard range. That's why I'm asking if this is strictly a 'club' cartridge or something more universal that you just don't see much of.

reynolds357

The 6ppc is at the benchrest matches.:rolleyes: It was the uncontested king until the .30 Br and the 6 Br Norma began to gain in popularity. Usually at a 100 or 200 yard match, at least half the rifles shooting are 6PPC.

roc1

At my range I think I am one of the few that doesn't own one. Our guys are benchrest competitors.
Roc1

emcon5

Now is this cartridge strictly for benchrest or does anyone hunt/varmint with it?

You certainly could, but I can't see why you would want to. The PPC is about as slow as you can get in a 6mm cartridge, about 500 FPS slower than the .243 Win in any given bullet weight.

It may be one of the most inherently accurate cartridges, but in reality that isn't needed in a hunting or varmint rifle. From the field not many people would be able to tell the difference between a 1/4 MOA and a 3/4 MOA rifle.

PPC chambered rifles are pretty much custom only (aside from the Sako and Ruger mentioned above), if you were wanting to build a custom varmint rig, there are better choices in cartridges, if you were building a custom benchrest rig, you probably wouldn't want to use up your finite barrel life blasting P-Dogs.

Never say never though, I am sure at some point someone built a 6MM PPC hunting rifle.