PP7 used in Jamaican War of Independence.

Big Bunny

A club member has got interested in this firearm called a PP7 and wants to buy one, but she would first appreciate any information on history, prices and calibre etc anyone would have, from any source, [as in the US as you are nearer to the island than we are, I thought I would try here first!]

------------------
A thought from 'Big Bunny'...."The sword does not kill, it is a tool in the hands of the killer".... Seneca 'the younger' (circa AD 35)

Daniel Watters

First, when was this so-called Jamaican War of Independence? Britain started cutting them loose in 1944, and by 1957, Jamaica was essentially self-ruled. When the Jamaican government finally declared their independence in 1962, the Brits shrugged their shoulders and said "Okay". Like so many other Commonwealth nations, Jamaica's military and police have been armed mostly with British-pattern weapons with a couple of US weapons making their inroads within recent years.

You might also inquire as to whether your friend plays the Playstation game 'Goldeneye'. The PP7 is the game's laundered name for the Walther PPK.

Of course, there is the very real HK P7, but Jamaica introduced very strict gun-control laws a couple years before this pistol's commercial introduction.

Big Bunny

No, Dan I think we are talking late 1800s not Nintendo....and percussion cap and ball and not auto SMG !

------------------
A thought from 'Big Bunny'...."The sword does not kill, it is a tool in the hands of the killer".... Seneca 'the younger' (circa AD 35)

Daniel Watters

The British took Jamaica from the Spaniards in 1655. The Spaniards on the island didn't give up until 1660, but the Spaniards' slaves kept up a minor guerrilla campaign until the turn of the century. The French and the Spanish each made a few attempts to invade over the years, with the last attempt in 1806. There were then threats of uprisings among the British held slaves, but this was defused by emancipation in 1833. I understand there was a brief tax uprising in Morant Bay in October 1865, but this was quickly put down under a period of marshal law. There were a few riots in 1938 as well.

Again, I don't see anything that would really qualify as a 'war of independence'...at least not a successful or prolonged one.

Big Bunny

Thanks Daniel, it looks more and more like a hoax doesn't it ?
A bit like a computer virus nerd...someone somewhere is sniggering, but shouldn't be.

Ah well - thats life, I tried to help our member (who has a verbal tongue-lashing from me to come!), so sorry for wasting your valuable time this query to FL :eek:

All the best - BB.

Big Bunny

No response from Jeanine in Oz over her hoax posting ...but I will remember her for the future on our website ssaa.org.au ! :D

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipine...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.