Power Pistol: the .45 acp & lead?

rnovi

I reload a pretty good amount of .45 acp - around 8k per year. Currently I'm loading around 3.5 gr. of Clays under a 230gr hardcast lead bullet w/ a Fed large pistol primer.

Accuracy is good but I do get enough inconsistency with metering that it's made me think of switching powders. About 1 out every 250 rounds or so is a bit soft - as if only 1.5 gr of powder made it into the case.

I'm considering Power Pistol for a couple reasons. The first is to get a warmer load. The second is to get better metering. Actually, better metering is the absolute reason why I want to try something else.

Anyone got any suggestions? Please don't suggest TiteGroup - that stuff smoked like a coal fired freight train in my 625!

So, anyone got any loads using Power Pistol and lead bullets in a .45 acp?

Or, anyone got any suggestions on a spherical / flat sphere powder for the .45 acp?

Thanks!

Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

My 45 Super load for self defense in a small 45acp is 12 gr Power Pistol and 152 gr lead hard cast semi wad cutter with lube band Copperized from National Bullet, Starline 45acp +P brass, 1.275", Lee Factory crimp.

BillCA

If you want good metering in a powder, try Hogdon (Winchester) 231 ball powder. The last time I used ball powder for .45 ACP it was easy to get consistent charge weights and fairly clean burning.

Note:
Any time you change powder types (e.g. from flake to ball or from ball to bar powders), spend extra time double checking your charge weights with your powder measure. Also randomly pull 5 out of 50 rounds to re-weigh the charges for the first 200 rounds to determine if there is any variation from case to case.

Winchester 231 is the same thing as HP-38 under the Hodgdon name brand, in case your dealer has one and not the other. It has been popular for a long time with target shooters who switched from Bullseye for metering reasons. It is slower than Clays, so you will be able to get warmer loads out of it, though not a hot as Power Pistol. It should give you hardball equivalent pressure at a max load of 5.3 grains with 230 grain FMJ RN. Unless your lead is bevel base and seats deeper than this powder, it should work with lead. Deeper seating raises pressure. Back it off the usual 10% to start.

Power Pistol will match hardball pressure at about 7.3 grains. It will go about 50 fps faster, but only burn about 77% in a 5" barrel, compared with 99.8% for the 231/HP-38 load. That means more fouling and a lot more muzzle flash and will have more powder cost per load.

Nick

Edward429451

Power Pistol measured real consistent for me from a measure. I've loaded it under a 200 gr J bullet but so far not under lead. I plan to try it under 225 gr LRN. This thread came along right in time for me.

Cloudpeak

DSCN1288.jpg

Cloudpeak

8ring

It looks like you are shooting target loads. Winchester Super Target meters very well, burns cleaner and has much less muzzle flash than 231, and creates relatively little smoke with lead bullets. I've used 5.0 to 5.1 gr with 200gr lead and moly-coated lead bullets in my S&W 625. The loads were accurate and easily made 165 power factor in my revolver.

Vithavour N-310 is also an excellent fast powder for lead bullets. Like all Vithvouri powders, it meters extremely consistenly. It is single base and creates little smoke. The U.S. Army Bullseye shooting team is said to use it, albeit with 185gr jacketed loads that are fairly mild. Vithavouri N-320 is somewhat slower than N-310 and may be better suited for mid-range 200gr lead bullets. V-V powders cost a little more but I think the small extra cost is worth it.

Titegroup also meters very well but it burns very hot (38% nitroglycerine) and makes lots of smoke. That said, many competitive shooters use it with lead and moly-coated bullets.

robertbank

I have been using 5.3 gr Win 231 under my 200 gr LSWC for years. Load is accurate and powder meteres consistantly. Not sure there would be any advantage to go to any other powder for the .45acp.

Take Care

Bob

powertrainer

power pistol load data

Does any one know load data for 45 acp using power pistol and 230 gr LRN.
The only data i have found is for fmj.

AlaskaMike

Power Pistol is hands-down the best I've found for warm .45 ACP loads. I can't suggest a load using a 230 grain bullet though since I primarily shoot 200 grain SWCs.

Powertrainer, you can use the data for FMJs when using 230 grain lead RN bullets. Given the same overall length (OAL) they'll seat to very similar depth in the case. If you have some FMJ bullets on hand that would be something you'll want to verify.

Unclenick, what you mention surprises me. My load of 7.5 grains of Power Pistol with Lasercast 200 grain SWC actually leaves significantly less powder fouling than my load of 5.8 grains of 231 with the same bullet. For both loads the OAL I use is 1.240".

Mike

ab0ez

Missouri Bullets

I'm gonna jump in on this old thread and update it to show a target and link a video showing a load consisting of 6.5gr of Power Pistol and a Missouri Bullets 200gr SWC with the HiTek coating. My wife and I both shoot ASI and IDPA and use these bullets in 9mm, 357, 44 and 45 calibers. They are fantastic! The target is 25 feet, 7 shots, 1 shot per buzzer on the timer and holding on target the entire time. This was with my wife Carrie's Springfield Armory Range Officer Compact 45ACP.

Again, these bullets ROCK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6fxx6vg2OQ

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 9.37.13 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 9.37.13 PM copy.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 31

std7mag

Ramshot offers load data for Zip, and Competition.

I'm using Silhouette with Missouri 185gr #2, LSWC.
But i also use it for my 185gr Sierra Tournament Masters, Sierra JHP.
These out of a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec Champion.

Ramshot also showing 230gr LSWC with True Blue. Also works excellent in 9mm, if you have one.

MagnumWill

I've had really good luck metering Power Pistol and HS6. A case activated powder drop with the PTX expander made a huge difference.