Powder

GuyM

Can anybody give me their recommendations for a good clean burning powder for 9mm and 45 auto pistols. I am presently using Bullseye and it seems rather dirty. Also, what is a good mail order source for powder, primers and bullets?

Thanks

Bob Thompson

I have been using Universal clays for some time now for 9mm, 44 Special and 45 auto and have had good results. It will achive max. velocity and is clean burning. Approximately same burninmg rate as Unique, my old standby.

Grayfox

In 9mm try Win 231. For .45 target loads try Win Super Target (WST). For full power .45 loads - AA #5

bear

Found the Clays work well in my .45acp.

I was told to try Accurate #7 in my .38 Super but was also told it was a dirty powder????
anybody using it? thanks

Walt Welch

I have found Hodgdon HS-6 to be very reliable and accurate with moderate to full loads in the 9mm and .45 ACP. In fact, Hodgdon lists +P loads using this powder in the .45 ACP caliber. The spherical powder flows easily through the powder measure, and the powder is fairly clean burning. I have found the use of magnum primers to be unnecessary. It is also available in 8 lb. kegs, which makes it very economical.

I have tried Bullseye, Unique, and W231, but prefer the HS-6. Walt

tputto

I've been using Vihtavuori N320 in .45 auto and it seems OK, gun doesn't get dirty.
I use Win.primers, 200gr. plated bullets and near max.loads (check www.vihtavuori.fi for data).

leapfrog

Hi guys, this is my first post to this section - been over on Glock talk mostly. I like Walt Welch's suggestion of HS-6. It is excellent for most all handgun loads, meters well, and is not as dirty as the Accurates and generates fairly low pressures for most applications. By far the cleanest powder I have used is Universal, though the Vihtavouri powders are also very clean by virtue of being single based. If clean is your main objective, use Universal or Vihtavouri.