powder suggestions for 9 mm?

I'm using a Dillon press and found ball type powder meters quite well in it. I'm looking for good metering powder (probably ball type) for 9 mm low to mid range loads. These are mostly for range use. Accuracy is more important to me then anything else. CCI and Federal primers are the ones normally available locally. I have Montana Gold 115 grain FMJ and JHP bullets on hand. At the moment I have W231 powder and am working on finding the load that will work with it.

My question is with the above information what other powders would fit my needs? I know that the LGS occasionally runs out of most of the powders they carry from time to time. I want to find which powders will meet my needs so I can switch to something they might have on the shelf and continue to load.

Shootest

I think the solution may be to buy a #8 pound keg of W231 or HP38 which is the same powder. Also Bullseye and Power Pistol are flake powders but I have had little trouble with them on my Dillon XL650, and they work great in the 9mm.

Sevens

There are two powders that I really like in 9mm, neither of which is a ball powder.

Good metering is also very important to me, but I have found that it doesn't have to be spherical to meter well. Power Pistol and Hodgdon Universal are both small flake powders and they meter great -- very consistent.

Power Pistol runs better in warmer loads and Universal works well for me in midrange loads. These days, I'm going whole hog with Universal. In 8 pound jugs, it's affordable (Power Pistol only comes in four pounders) and you've also got the backing of Hodgdon and their great online data source.

bluetopper

If you've got 231 and loading for a 9mm you really don't need any other unless you just want to experiment.
Green Dot is also superb in 9mm mid-range loads, it's a flake powder but meters very well and can be found anywhere.

chiefr

May be showing my age here, but I have been using Unique and Bullseye in 9mm for over 40 years. With Unique, I have punched out many enviable groups.

Unique and Bullseye powders I will use only when I'm measuring each load. I have found they don't work that well for me through powder measures. When measured on a scale for each load it works very well.

Nevmavrick

Those Alliant powders are excellent old-tyme powders and are popular because they've been used forever,
My choice at this time would slide over to Accurate #5 and #7.
Have fun,
Gene

hounddawg

Myself I have been using W231 and Missouri bullet co lead 125 gr RN's for 3 years now with no complaints. Some of the people I shoot with swear by TightGroup, a couple of others like VV's N320. AA5 might be another good choice.

dunerjeff

Power Pistol is my tops in 9mm plated or Jacketed,AA#5 and N330(which was made specificaly for the 9mm).HP-38 works good also.The last three are my best in line for lead above Power Pistol.

Orochimaru

+1 on Sevens' recommendation of Hodgdon Universal. My "go-to" 9mm load is based on Hodgdon Universal. It shoots consistent, small groups and works flawlessly in everything I've run it through.

mumbo719

Bulls Eye and Power Pistol measure accurately and reliably for me. Like mentioned above I like Power Pistol in a hotter load and BE in a mid range load.

WESHOOT2

one choice

For the most affordable choice that offers easy metering and the highest accuracy potential use Alliant Power Pistol.
Works with all bullet weights.

p5200

I feel like a kid in a candy store with all the choices to choose from :D Thanks very much folks! I hope to get my dies ordered next week, get some powder and primers locally and get started. I have lots of used sorted by brand, brass I've been saving should I use it or start out with new? I have a RCBS Trimmer and a tumbler which most of the brass has already been tumbled. Should the free shell holder that comes with the dies fit my RCBS Universal hand primer also? :)