powder stain on case

RockyMtnDan

I'm have been using Universal to reload my 45s for the last 1.5 years and recently changed to Bullseye. I was firing my load development rounds and noticed that all of them had a powder stain on the outside of the shell, especially those at the lower loads. This is something I never noticed with the Universal powder. Is it an indication of a problem or just a characteristic of the Bullseye powder? Any ideas?

dacaur

Lower power loads dont completly seal the case to the chamber, at least, thats what everyone says, I guess it kinda makes sense.... I do know that ALL my 9mm unique loads do that, but I dont ever load hot....

Yep. Normal with very low pressure loads. As mentioned, the case then fails to expand as firmly against the chamber, so there's a partial gas leak around the mouth. The Bullseye is dirtier burning than Universal, too, so you get more discoloration even at the same pressure.

RockyMtnDan

Thanks for the help! These loads for IDPA competition so they are lighter than what I have been using the the replies make sense. I will press on.

osageid

Nice info, that is why I love this forum! I read more than I post for a good reason!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dacaur

If the gun shoots well, dont worry about it. Sometimes increasing the charge a bit will increase accuracy, but if you are happy with what you got, a little soot doesnt hurt a thing.... :p

Uncle Buck

I have the same thing happen with my .357 Mag and .38 Spec. cases. I can stop it from happening with a little hotter load, but I like what I have and a little bit of time in the tumbler takes the powder marks off.

If you like what you have, I would call it good and not be concerned.