Powder Recommendations

YosemiteSam357

I need some powder type and load recommendations for three different bullets in .243: Nosler B-tip 55gr and 95gr, and Sierra 70gr. I've checked Nosler's site, but they don't list any .243 data. A buddy has a Sierra loading manual, but I'm hoping to pick up some other recommendations here.

Thanks in advance!

-- Sam

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I have some of the "tiny" bullets, but have yet to get around to playing with them. :)

For some 30+ years I've loaded the 70-grain Hornady Spire Point ahead of 40.0 grains of 3031; I've always gotten 5-shot groups around 5/8". Great varmint load.

Same for the Sierra 85-grain HPBT, with 37.5 grains of 3031. I got 3/4" groups, mostly; three-shot groups could be covered by a dime. I've killed numerous coyotes and jackrabbits with this load, and some 20+ whitetail of the smaller CenTex variety (field-dressed at around 110 pounds or so). This is my "standard" all-purpose load.

I got these loads from my father; he began whenever the .243 first came out.

The twist of my Sako's barrel isn't fast enough for good groups with the 100-grain Noslers...

Art

griz

Here is a good site that has 243 data. His only goes down to 70 grains but should still be useful. I've mostly used the various 4350's and AA3100 to load 100 grain bullets. I don't think I've tried anything lighter than Sierra's 60 grain, but I use 4895 for lighter bullets. The powder companys have data on thier sites too.

Good shootin', griz