Powder recommdations for 38 SPL/45 ACP/9MM & Source for Bullets

WVsig

I am going to be starting to reload soon on a Lee Turret press with an Auto Disk Pro powder measurer. Powder is getting better but it is still hard to come by. I am looking for peoples recommendation on powders.

I am going to ask the powder question 2 different ways. Please list your favorite power for each of these calibers.

Then name the best all around powder that I can use to load these 3 calibers if I could only choose one? I am not looking to make defense ammo just range rounds at this time.

Then I am looking for recommendation for decent bullets. I would be looking to buy in bulk 1000+ rounds in each caliber. I could buy more if there was a significant discount. Again I am only looking for range ammo so no need for JHPs.

Thanks in advance!

mikejonestkd

I reload for all three cartridges you listed and my favorite powders are pretty standard : bullseye, Unique and Win 231/ HP-38. You can pretty much load great practice ammo with these three powders.

My favorite bulk lead supplier is www.mastercast.net , located in PA. ( not to be confused with master cast bullets in Illinois ). Their prices are among the best around and they make great cast bullets.

1stmar

I've gotten very good accuracy with 7.8gr of unique and 158gr xtp (357). For soft shooting 45, I use 3.3gr of clays and 250gr lead fp. For accuracy in 45, use the 200gr H&G swc. It's been a long time since I used those so don't have a good powder recommendation for that bullet. Anything should work.

mxsailor803

The great thing about all three calibers is they are very versatile when it comes to powder. I usually use Bullseye or W231 on all three with very good results. Try to see whats available in your area first and compare data between all three. Lets face it, if you're gonna order online, better be a keg. $25 hazmat fee is rediculious for #1.

Wreck-n-Crew

For bullets what are you looking for? Plated? Jacketed? Cast? Or coated?

Your best prices will be Cast and coated. Then plated and finally FMJ. If you go with the coated they will provide no leading problems and no smoke. Cast will smoke and if your charge is wrong or your bore doesn't match bullet size your going to lead the barrel up and be scrubbing for a bit. Plated bullets can be drivien to FMJ velocities if they are the right type/brand so choose wisely like x-Treme or Berry's for 9mm, .38 and 45 (no +p or magnum). Now I have shot The Bullet Works http://thebulletworks.com/ plated rounds with no problems and free shipping! FMJ will cost the most but no worries.

As for best powder for the 3....well it's subjective but one all around good powder for those three would be Bullseye IMO.

5whiskey

I use HS6 for all of these, but only because I had a cheap (18 bucks a pound) source for it. It's a little slow burning for these calibers (actually works a touch better in 45 with a heavy bullet) but I got it cheap and it will work.

Otherwise, I used 700x hi-score and it happens to be very accurate with 9mm. It's the other end of the spectrum, being at the faster burning end of the scale as opposed to the slower end. Either way, I use 700x because it's the only powder I could find locally at one point and I bought a couple of pounds. Being fast burning, low charge weights are in order and I only put about 3.8 grns in a 9mm case. A couple of pounds will get you around 4k 9mm rounds, and I still have this laying around. I've been using it more lately as it really is better suited for 9mm than HS6.

Neither of these powders are the "best" for these calibers... it's just what I ended up with that would work.

lee n. field

Then name the best all around powder that I can use to load these 3 calibers if I could only choose one? I am not looking to make defense ammo just range rounds at this time.

Bullseye or Winchester 231.

Then I am looking for recommendation for decent bullets. I would be looking to buy in bulk 1000+ rounds in each caliber. I could buy more if there was a significant discount. Again I am only looking for range ammo so no need for JHPs.

I buy cast lead bullets in bulk from a gunshow vendor with no website. ("No website? How is that even possible?!?!")

230 grain LRN .45. 158 grain LSWC, .38.

Last edited:

hgmeyer

Bullets..... Missouri Bullet in cast and now in coated.

Powder, you have heard good options..... I like Unique

Gadawg88

HP-38/win231 (same thing different bottle) is what I use in all three. Meters like water through the Lee Auto disk. Look no further if you can get it. It has been quite rare for many many months until just the last week or so. I haven't seen any personally, but I have seen a number of posts on this and other sites saying it is making an appearance here and there. For good economical range bullets, check out X-treme plated bullets.

jersurf101

I do not load 9mm but I like bullseye for .38spec and .45 acp. It meters well through the autodisk as well. I have used Unique for both as well. It does not meter as well but I like it for jacketed .38spec plus P loads and mild .357's. If I could have just one bullseye would be an easy choice.

WCWV

WVsig, I personally only load for the 9mm. Titegroup works the best for me, but with all the powder shortage that's been going on it's been a little hard to find. But I did find some CFE pistol powder that did pretty good.
As for bullets I generally cast all my own

Jim Watson

There is still enough of the Panic driven shortages that you are probably going to have to look in your manuals and make a list of reasonably suitable powders to take shopping with you.
I like W231/HP38 for non-magnum pistol loads but it is not easy to find.
I am at present loading 9mm with 700X and .45 with Bullseye. There are a lot of other things that will work.

BigJimP

TiteGroup is the powder I use for all three of those calibers...good powder / meters well / but min and max are often 0.4 grain apart --- so you need to be focused when using it - make sure the press is very consistent ! ( fairly easy to find lately in my area ).

For bullets, I use Montana Gold, buy in case lots ( 4000 115 gr 9mm FMJ is a case as an example) - they pay shipping / USPS prepaid boxes. Quality is very high / prices are fair for what you get - much better than a plated bullet in my view.