Powder measures

alanwk

Looking for practical suggestions for a powder dispenser. Currently using the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. Not too happy. I am getting bits of powder all over my bench. I an using HS6. Thanks

totaldla

HS6, H335 (and others) will leak out of the $30 Lee Perfect. Even the $70 Lee metal version will leak a small amount of H335.
AA2230, Xterminator, TAC don't leak from the Lee metal version.

The Perfect is a great measure for stick powders but is famous for leaking with fine spherical propellants. Some have fixed that by tightening the drum and lubricating it with graphite. Otherwise, just about any other drum measure made will dispense spherical powder well. The only thing to watch out for is minimum dispensing capacities too large for handgun rounds like the Redding BR-30 has (roughly 10-grain minimum).

Woody'sDad

What about a Harrel’s powder drop?

I have one put away in my reloading closet that I have not used since I got the V3 and then V4 trickler so I don’t remember how it behaves with a fine flake powder but it was quite consistent when I did use it

hammie

I'm assuming that you're looking for a manual/mechanical powder measure.
The RCBS Uniflow powder measure has always worked fine for me. The older versions had a large and small drum, but there's a new generation III uniflow out, which has only one drum. RCBS claims the new generation uniflow will meter accurately from 1/2 grain to 95 grains. Surprisingly, Midway USA does not show the uniflow on their website. However, the RCBS website does show them as available, and you could order one directly from RCBS. RCBS is asking 110 $ for one.

The Redding powder measures are super nice, but a bit more expensive. As "Unclenick" alerted, make sure you get one with both the universal AND the handgun metering chambers.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Have been using the same RCBS Uniflow since the early 80s. I know it came with both drums, but I don't think I've see the pistol one in 30+ years, I never used it.

I had the Lil Dandy rotor thing for a while might still have it somewhere, also haven't used it in decades. Had several of the rotors but none of them ever dropped the charge wt of the powder I was using, that I wanted. Over, under, no problem...:rolleyes:

I have used the old Lyman No 55, tis a good measure for many things, and it has a knocker :D Used a Redding back in the 70s too, but the hopper got broken during a move long, long ago.

My uniflow has worked just fine, all the way down to loading .32 acp with the powders I use. Never leaked anything I use. Never used HS-6 though, so I can't say for certain. Bullseye, 231 Unique, 2400 and 296 are my usual pistol powders. Have used the "Dots" on occasion, no leaks with any of those.
Bought mine back when they were about $30, its been my "gold standard" ever since.

There might be better measures out there, I don't know, not looking, what I have works great.

Carriertxv

I’ve got three Hornady measures with large and small drums and a RCBS Uniflow. I only have large drum for Uniflow so doesn’t get used much. The Hornady measures work great like most drum measures do. Always spot on with any ball powders. I go through pounds of HS6 and have never had any leakage and drops at whatever it’s set at. With Unique or Herco they stay within .2 grains of what it’s set for.
Comes down to whatever color of drum measure you like as all pretty much do the same thing.

Marco Califo

When I got my RCBS Charge Master Combo (powder measure and attached scale) that automatically throws a weighed out charge everytime you replace the pan, I do not use my Lyman #55, Lee PPM, powder scales and tricklers anymore.

Last edited:

Lurch37

I've been using a Hornady measure for many years, and have both drums for rifle and pistol. Always thought about buying another just so as not to have to change drums from pistol to rifle and back, but it's not that difficult so I confess I have just the one.

rc

:):):)The completely Not Perfect Powder Measure:):):):

I laugh because I went down that road when I started reloading. I bought RCBS 9mm dies as my first set but I skimped and bought the 75th anniversary kit by Lee. I have to say it was a decent way to get into reloading. It was super cheap and I got the powder measure, O press, Perfect Prime tool and Scale. Still have the dies but sold the rest. Of that kit, the powder measure was the most problematic. It would start to bind and if you loosened the screw a bit the thing would leak ball powder but worked ok with flake. Stick was a challenge. I sold my lee kit after buying an old RCBS reloading set up and dies from an OLD reloader getting out of the hobby and almost everything else has been RCBS from then on. Hornady has some good stuff too but I don't like their sliding seater stems. Their split lock rings with the flats are better than the current RCBS lock rings. I can recommend the RCBS Uniflow highly but there are a lot of good old cast iron powder measures from out of business companies like Baer, Herters,and Pacific as well as companies still in business like Lyman, CH etc that pop up on ebay every day. The nice thing about RCBS is they stand behind their product. Got a cracked powder hopper, give them a call. One is in the mail. I have several Uniflow measures now so I don't have to keep changing them up for pistol vs. rifle. One that I really like is the Uniflow with the quick change bushing. I bought a micrometer stem for one of my measures but it's not really that useful to me. I can't read it well enough to adjust it back to a particular load. The quick change bushing would be more effective to return to an exact load if you buy extra bushings. One thing to look for in a used measure is both the large and small drum and stems and a stand. It's better to buy a package than to bid on each individually. You can buy the RCBS cylinders separately if you get a very good deal on a used powder measure with just one cylinder. Compared with the plastic perfect powder measure any of the cast iron classic measures should be a huge step up if you just want to pick up something cheap that's better. The Uniflow doesn't leak with ball like the Lee and crunches through stick powder, no problem.

bobn

Gentlemen, if you ever wander in a ohaus duo measure grab it. it handles ball and stick powders famously. the plastic friction nipples can be replaced with threaded hornady alum ones with some home engineering....bobn

gwpercle

I've always liked the Lyman 55 .

Also like to use powder dippers . The best ones I make from old fired brass handgun case and #12 copper wire handle to dispense / dip the powder and charge desired .

Gary

GeauxTide

Used a Uniflow for 40 years. Invested in an RCBS Chargemaster a few years ago. Cut my reloading time in half and I only check every 10th round. When they say accurate to 1/10th grain, they mean it.

Nathan

Here’s the test…..do any work with Ramshot Enforcer? That stuff leaks like crazy from my Hornady. It is the only powder that leaks. I’d buy a new powder measure, but I think they have changed the design so my micrometers won’t fit. It throws 3-100gr with good accuracy, but leaks with Enforcer only. So I keep it.

ciwsguy

For what purpose?

If loading rifle ammo and using extruded (stick) powder, I recommend the RCBS Lite or RCBS Link. For ball and flake powder, Hornady powder drop seems to work best for me and is pretty good maintaining consistent powder loads directly into the case. However, the Hornady is terrible dispensing extruded powders. So I use the RCBS Link for extruded powder and the Hornady for all other loads.
Note: Don't use the RCBS Link for ball powder as you'll end up with a real mess to clean up as the balls literally bounce all over the place.
Two bits.....
ciwsguy