Powder Measure

Saltydog235

I've been slowly getting my bench and stations back in order. Mostly I've been loading rifle only and using the handy RCBS Digital Scale/Despenser. I decided I wanted to load up some .41 and .44 Mag stuff this weekend and usually just used the powder measure. I set everything up the mount it in place and did so. Well, so far I haven't had any of my equipment damaged from a couple of moves or suffer from time in storage, until now. My Uniflow is locked up and is now a Notgonnaflow.

Thumbing through and looking at the measures available now, you have a pretty nice selection to choose from. I was looking at the Uniflow because I know it fits the mount I have and have already set up (drilled and tapped a stainless table, PITA) but do like the Hornaday LNL. Of course Sinclair and Graf offer some high end measures too. I'm not as concerned with price as I am something that works well, accurately and trouble free, and fits the mount I set up already.

Watcha got for me?

Sevens

RCBS has a very good reputation for customer service. Call them and they'll likely have you ship the frozen uniflow to them and they'll most likely fix it and return it and I would be surprised if they charged you anything for it.

Otherwise, I would suggest a Lyman 55. I've used a few and this one in my favorite. We just had a recent thread on powder measures and everyone had their vote... many of them got lots of votes and the Lyman 55 took it's share.

howlnmad

If it were me, I'd take Sevens advice. RCBS has great customer service. If you are worried about drilling for a new mount, you can use the one from your Uniflow, the majority have the 7/8x14 thread. The only one I can think of that doesn't is the Lyman but they sell a bushing to solve that problem.

NESHOOTER

A friend older fella been shooting and reloading for at least 40-50 yrs say he doesn't like his hornady powder measure and says the RCBS is the way to go... this post is just passing on his thoughts so please take it for what its worth.... I have the hornady L-n-L progressive, trimmer,and related items so its not like I'm against hornady just sharing outload....

warnerwh

RCBS replaced dies I had purchased 30 years prior and it was my fault (plumbing leak) that the dies got rusty. RCBS had shipped a new set of dies to my house very quickly. Customer service doesn't get any better than that. Do as they suggest above and you will have a powder measure that works like a new one and probably at no charge.

hk33ka1

Before you do anything, go to RCBS' site and send them a msg telling them your problem.

If I was to buy anoter expensive measure like the RCBS or Lyman 55 I'd look around for a nice used one at a show.

I like the Lee but it likes to leak ball and sperical powders.

Ideal Tool

Before you buy, give Sinclair International, Inc. a look. They have becnchrest quality equipment. I like the Harrel's..The little Schuetzen works like a dream for small charges in Hornet. Their larger ones have double needle bearings, solid brass/aluminum..just oozes quality.

FrankenMauser

As mentioned by howlnmad, any powder measure with 7/8"x14 threads will fit the RCBS powder measure stands (at least, all of the stands I know of).

But...
Count me as another vote for "call RCBS first chance you get". You'll probably get a new powder measure out of it (at the very least, you'll probably get a free repair).

I can't suggest any alternative powder measures. I have used Hornady, Dillon, and RCBS stuff. RCBS gets my vote, but my vote doesn't matter if you're planning on changing brands. ;)

dawico

I fit my RCBS dispenser to my LnL AP, as it dumps more consistently than the Hornady dispenser.

Stick with RCBS and give them a chance to fix it.