Powder Measure Inserts vs screw adjustable

colima

I use a Dillon SDB and borrow time on a friends 550. The only powder measure I've ever used is the Dillon, which has a screw adjustable sliding bar mechanism to create a variable size cavity in the metering mechanism.

I've read on this list and in catalogs that several other powder measues use inserts to adjust charge load size. My question is basically 'how does this work?' How can you tune a load with small variations in charge load? For example, when I was experimenting with .45 Super, I was testing loads over about a 2 grain range with increments of .2 g. Can you really do this with inserts?

Bogie

Generally not too well... The inserts are set sizes. The up side is that it is VERY hard to screw up badly with 'em.

Archie

Good news and bad news.

With replaceable inserts, you are stuck with the charge that insert throws. I understand some folks have altered the inner diameter of a bushing to adjust the charge thrown.
But they are just not very flexible, in the main.

On the other hand, when you want to duplicate that load again, just toss in insert #12 and you are right where you were last week or last month.

The Dillon powder measure is reliable and flexible. And dang near impossible to re-set to the same place. I bought several and mark them... .and don't mess with the adjustment. They are now in effect an "insert".

grunewaj

I only have experience with Hornady's powder measure and it has an optional micrometer metering insert. You can vary the depth of the chamber in .001 increments. I can't imagine working with a screw or insert metering system. I believe Dillon makes adapters for other powder systems. You might want to look into it if you aren't satisfied with Dillon's setup.

MADISON

Powder Measure Inserts

I like working with Pistol Powder Measure Inserts.
The require the use or/purchase of disks.
Hornady's Pistol Powder Measure works well but does NOT work on a progressive press. Check it and the RCBS Little Dandy in their catalogs.
Lee Make an excelent "disk" measure with fixed loads that I have used for 15 years. With the Lee system...no case no powder.

grunewaj

MADISON,
One of us is confused. I have a Hornady LnL AP with their powder measure and I use their micrometer pistol metering insert. It works fine. It does not drop powder unless there's a case and I can repeat a powder charge quickly and easily. The Pistol Powder Measure you refer to uses a bushing system to meter the powder. This is a very different system than I described and as you say, cannot be used on a progressive press.

I have no experience with any measures that use disks or bushings to meter the powder, but they don't interest me. I could be wrong, but I don't see the advantage of confining myself to set metering settings. I prefer a system that I can adjust and later return to a previous adjustment. As far as I know Hornady and RCBS are the only ones that market such a beast, but I could be wrong.