Powder help for 45acp

DannyAbear

I currently use 7-8 grs power pistol behind 200 gr gold dot for my 2 45s, both of which have 3 1/2" barrels. And have no problems with either. But, would I be better off using a faster powder like bullseye for these short barrels?
Thanks

WCW

For what it’s worth, I personally use 6.1 gr. of 231 with the Speer 200 gr. Gold Dot. It works superbly in my Ruger P90. It’s a tad faster than Power Pistol, but I really don’t think it makes a whole lot of difference. I have loads that are just as accurate as the 231 loads but using AA#5, which is slower than both the mentioned powders. If I get dead-reliable functioning and good accuracy, that’s where I usually stop experimenting. A little savings on powder never hurts either.

amamnn

Less powder is not necessarily a good thing. In fact, it's been shown over and over and over that the more you fill the case, the more consistient your ammunition will be. I used to try to save money by using powders that required less (on paper) to do the same job. In practice, they did not, and the money saved was negligible. 231 is a good powder that fills the case fairly well and meters very well.

Unique works ok, but meters like mud in my equipment. All this being said, 231 and unique are both do - it - all powders which work ok over a variety of calibers and applications and like all one size fits all items, seemingly are never the best at any one load. If I had to use only one handgun powder it would be 231 though.

cheygriz

Power Pistol is an excellent choice. You will gain nothing by going to a faster powder. I use HS-6 which is even slower. (But I also load +P.)

Edward429451

I've always had great results with 231 but late breaking data is in and putting the squeeze on 231 as my best 45 powder. The powder is Power Pistol and even if it takes a little more, the difference is real so would be worth the switch. Dunno how it would be in a short barreled 45. You could always try it.

Mr.RevolverGuy

+1 for this load it is my exact load and I have tried a number of different loads.

Just awesome

231 is my go to powder 5 grns behind 200 grn ranier Fp 1.250 OAL