Powder Dispenser Died

ligonierbill

...in the middle of working up hot .45 Colt loads (Hornady 300 XTP over H110). Said bad things and reverted to throwing a charge and trickling on the scale. Not so bad, and almost as quick as the dispenser. That old RCBS Chargemaster is very repeatable, never off by more that 0.1. FWIW, it's a PACT dispenser that has seen heavy use for about 5 years. I ordered a new RCBS unit, but I'll be working up .357 Mag loads today with the "tried and true" approach.

chiefr

I would email RCBS CS and inquire on repairing your old unit. Might be cost effective and good luck.

F. Guffey

upgrade option

I could recommend having the old RCBS charge master repaired, but I would first caution you there are reloaders that sent scales in for repair and then almost forgot they ever owned them. The last go around after the first go around. My friend contacted his lawyer, before that he sent in two for repair, both were green RCBS types, after a long wait they were returned gray, needless to say his décor was green. Both machines were sent in to be upgraded, there was something about the difference in exchange and upgraded he did not understand. He sent the machines in to be upgraded, instead they exchanged them.

Complaint: The reloader thought the scale company was too insulated, something like a black hole, there was absolutely no information available to him between going in and coming out.

Some years ago I was asked to testify, seems there were a few unhappy customers that had an issue with engine rebuild and overhaul, then there was exchange. To shorten the story, I went by for a visit, after the visit they decided they did not want me to to speak on their behalf. The nice part? They ask me to notify them if the unhappy customers contacted me. The rebuilder lost.

F. Guffey

AllenJ

That is sad news. My unit is 2 years old now and I really like it for reloading rifle powders like 4350 and 4831, which is mostly what I do anymore. The fact that you have already ordered another is proof on what it meant to you. Did the scale or meter go bad, or both?

howlnmad

Is it the PACT and you're going to replace it with RCBS? Just going to suggest contacting PACT first since they make the RCBS electronics.

chiefr

F. Guffey I could recommend having the old RCBS charge master repaired, but I would first caution you there are reloaders that sent scales in for repair and then almost forgot they ever owned them. The last go around after the first go around. My friend contacted his lawyer, before that he sent in two for repair, both were green RCBS types, after a long wait they were returned gray, needless to say his décor was green. Both machines were sent in to be upgraded, there was something about the difference in exchange and upgraded he did not understand. He sent the machines in to be upgraded, instead they exchanged them.

Complaint: The reloader thought the scale company was too insulated, something like a black hole, there was absolutely no information available to him between going in and coming out.

Some years ago I was asked to testify, seems there were a few unhappy customers that had an issue with engine rebuild and overhaul, then there was exchange. To shorten the story, I went by for a visit, after the visit they decided they did not want me to to speak on their behalf. The nice part? They ask me to notify them if the unhappy customers contacted me. The rebuilder lost.

F. Guffey

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to ask: Was the scales sent to RCBS or a place other than RCBS?
I know one person who had problems with his Chargemaster which was out of warranty and RCBS fixed it for very little. I was greee when he sent it and green when it was sent back.