Powder Coating

DUNITALL

I just tried something new to me, Powder Coating. I am told that this keeps lead from getting in the barrel. Does any one have any experience pro or con. I shot about 30 rounds in my 44 Henry Big Boy and cleaned and found no lead or powder coating. Thanks for your input.

reddog81

Powder coating works as long as you follow the instructions. I've used is for 10,000+ bullets. The con is that it takes long than using a lubesizer.

bbqncigars

Tried PC boolits in the Sharps, and it preferred the lubed version. No leading with either, but like reddog81 said, it's way faster to run them through the Star anyway.

armoredman

castboolits.gunloads.com Greatest cast bullet resource known to man.
Properly sized PC'd bullets have, for me, left VERY little residue in the barrel, was a real cleaning game changer.

Seedy Character

95% of my shooting is with powder coated bullets
Greatest thing since brass cartridges

Keeps barrels very clean
Don't have any smoke from lube
Have used them to 2600fps without problem. No problems above that, never ventured there. YET

dahermit

I have shot literally thousands of powder coated bullets, mostly .38 Spl., but also in .44 Spl., .45 ACP, 9mm, and .38 Super. Powder Coating has several advantageous features.

But, there is one unfortunate limitation. That limitation is the process of powder coating precludes effective heat treating. However that problem is limited to those loads that shot at higher velocities. Some casters may not be aware that too soft of a bullet shot at too high if a speed, changes shape (presumably effecting accuracy). For example, if you shoot a too soft of an alloy bullet at too high of a speed, the bullet "slumps" and what was a round nose 9mm becomes a bore-size wadcutter.

I experienced that with a .44 Magnum back in the early seventies with a Lyman 49421 "Keith type". Experimenting with "pure" lead, I found spent bullets with rifling marks on the ogive of the bullet where none should be.

Now, I anticipate posts from cast-lead bullet rifle shooters who are going to claim that they have achieved excellent accuracy coupled with very soft powder coated bullets... that is not what this post is about. It is about my observations.

Paul B.

Dshermit. A while back I screwed up and loaded so 158 gr. SWC bullets for a friend's .357 Mag. The mess-up was I used bullets of 8BHN which is pretty soft. My normal bullets for magnum handgun rounds run at 11 BHN. I told my buddy of the problem and said if his barrel leaded badly, I'd get the lead out for him. He lated called me and said he had no problem with leading and the loads were very accurate. That got my interest so I loaded up 50 for myself and sure enough, very accurate and no leading. I'd checked the hardness of the bullets before I loaded my batch and the reading was 8. All I can think of is bullet sizing must have been absolutely perfect to work in both revolvers and no leading. Luck? who knows?
Paul B.

Geezerbiker

I use a .32 Lee pistol bullet mold to cast bullets for .300 Blackout plinker loads. They drop at .310 and 88g with the alloy I use.

I was curious if my load was subsonic or not and a friend offered to test some. So I cast up a couple hundred and sent them to him. My load with 3g of red dot was subsonic (I don't have a chronograph) and to make things even better, he powder coated a bunch of them and sent them back. I've now shot all of them and I'm convinced it's the way to go. It's just one more thing on my long to do list...

Tony