Powder and bullet storage

Bucksnort1

My loaded ammunition, primers and powder are stored in separate places. It wasn't planned this way, just happened to work out this way.

Any problems with storing loaded ammo with powder?

Nick_C_S

Any problems with storing loaded ammo with powder?

I don't think so. Powder is just unloaded ammo :D

All your reactive components (primers, powder, ammo) should be stored in the usual storage place: cool, dry, and dark. The "big three."

jetinteriorguy

I store all my powder, primers, and loaded ammo on the same shelves. Have been doing this for over 35 years and no problems. I guess I can’t see what problems could possibly arise from this.

schwob2

Why should there be a problem? What is your concern. Would only add to make sure powder bottle / canister is well closed. I sometime seal my bullets/primers/ready cases in vacuum bags if I do not need them for a longer period of time.

kilotanker22

I store my powder and primers on the same rack, but on different shelves. Sitting the primers directly next to the powders has just never seemed like a good idea to me. Even though these items are pretty stable. To be honest I am not sure that it really matters

pcxxxx42

I live in Arizona, where it gets a wee bit hot in the garage in the summer.

I keep all of most loaded ammo there. And my primers.

I keep my propellents in a 4 drawer file cabinet on huge rollers inside the house, in an air conditioned laundry room, much to the spousal unit's chagrin.

That keeps the stuff cool. And if there is an issue I can roll the whole sucker outside in 20 seconds.

I had a kilo of N133 go south. Big clouds of sulpherous gas when one opened the container.

It got me religion. I stick my nose in that cabinet once/week now.

You can easily detect a propellant going south with your nose.

And I keep my magazine on big, easy wheels.

Not sulfurous; nitrous. That's what nitric acid smells like.

Surprised you have the ammo in a hot garage. Board member Slamfire has a post somewhere on this board describing the Naval experiments with aging ammo, which they did in an oven at 140°F, IIRC. Took it about 18 months, but the deterrent was consumed in the powder, raising the burn rate and causing pressures to go from about 48,000 CUP to about 72,000 CUP.

When I was in a Gunsite class in the early '90s, the police lieutenant acting as range master told us his officers had reported ammo going bad in as little as one summer in the trunk of a car in the Arizona sun. That would be hotter than the Navy's oven was, though.

ballardw

The bullets and loaded ammo are stored separately just because the weight means the shelves need to stronger.

Powder just isn't as dense so is on lighter shelves and higher (not going to lift 70lb boxes of bullets over my head thank you).