Potential problem

James K

Member In Memoriam
Saw something the other day that might shed some light on KB's in .40 S&W caliber pistols. A fellow had two guns, a Glock in .40 and a Beretta in 9mm. He loaded the magazine of the Glock, inserted it and racked the slide. He pulled the trigger but nothing happened. Puzzled, he pulled back the slide, looked in the chamber, then released the slide, chambering another round. He rested the gun on the front of the bench, barrel down at an angle, and a cartridge fell out.

Checking showed that somehow the top round loaded in the magazine was a 9mm, not a .40. The force of the slide pushed the 9mm round down into the barrel where it could not be seen, so he thought the first round had not chambered and loaded another one, this time a .40.

I have mentioned this as a potential problem, but was a bit surprised to see it actually happen. Fortunately he did not fire the pistol with the 9mm in the barrel or we might have had another unexplained Glock KB.

Jim

Griff

I've seen that happen before too. I once had a friend who shot 9mm through his Glock 40 on accident. He fired about 6 or 7 rounds and kept noticing how strange it sounded.

bedlamite

When I was shooting sporting clays a few years ago, one guy on the squad dropped a 28gauge shell right through his 12 gauge gun. No harm was done but we still remind him of it now and then: "these birds are slow and close, why don't you use a 28ga?" :p