potential barrel damage for citori

joe45c

i'm not sure if this has been asked before, but i was wondering if it becomes mandatory for the use of nontoxic shot for everything not just waterfowl, what kind of barrel damage would i be looking at for my 20ga citori? Mine is 70's vintage with fixed chokes, modified and improved cyl. I've remember past warnings that a full choke barrel would bulge. How would my barrels fair? Or should i just use something else instead of steel shot?

BigJimP

You can shoot Steel shot --- thru any Citori ...up to a Modified Choke ( but no tighter ). 12ga or a 20ga ...it doesn't matter..

You should be fine / and no danager of any damage to the gun.

I've put quite a bit of steel shot thru my Citori's ...all with screw in chokes..just never tighter than a Modified choke. A lot of the areas I've hunted over the last 10 yrs ...required non-toxic shot even for upland birds - in a variety of states.

joe45c

thanks bigjimp, thats what i wanted to know. so far here in new york lead in the uplands is still okay, but i have been hearing rumbelings and that usually means new laws are comming.

BigJimP

I'm not surprised....and honestly, I don't know that its a bad thing to get rid of lead for hunting.../ in case a bird is wounded and gets away ...and its picked off up by a hawk or something ....

It takes a little time to adjust your leads ...and kill range for steel vs lead...but its just a matter of some practice.

johnbt

"Q. Can I shoot steel shot in my Browning shotgun?

A. All current Browning shotguns with the Invector or Invector-Plus choke tube system are fully steel shot compatible with current factory loads. However, there are limitations to the compatibility of many older Browning shotguns with conventionally choked barrels. In certain models, shooting steel shot may cause a slight "ringe bulge" just inches behind the muzzle. The damage to your gun is purely cosmetic, but the "bulge" can be a factor in resale, especially with collector-grade shotguns.

Accordingly, our recommendations concerning the use of steel shot in Browning shotguns is as follows:

1. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS: All Browning shotguns with the Invector choke or Invector-Plus tube systems, However, we do not recommend the use of Invector full or extra full chokes with steel shot. They pattern too tightly, and sometimes result in a "blown" pattern.

2. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS EXCEPT THOSE WITH T, F, BB AND BBB SIZE SHOT: The B-2000 and B-80 shotguns with conventional chokes (Non-Invector)

3. DO NO USE ANY STEEL SHOT LOADS: The Belgian-made A-5, Superposed, Leige, and other Belgian Over/Under models, Double Automatic, American-made A-5 and all other models not listed in category 1 or 2. Note: Belgian Auto-5 barrels are interchangeable with the new Invector barrels which are made in Japan. With this new Invector barrel installed on the Belgian-made Auto-5 receiver, steel shot loads can be used.

DAMAGE: In not all, but a number of instances a very slight ring will develop about 1 1/2" to 3" rearward of the muzzle. This ring is about .005 of an inch above the plane of the barrel, completely encircling the barrel. From our tests we could determine no adverse effect on pattern or shot velocity because of this ring. Our conclusion is that the most significant objection, the slight ring, is entirely cosmetic. This "ring" effect does not affect the function or safety of the firearm.

YEAR OF PRODUCTION: Nearly all Browning firearms manufactured after 1975 have two letters in the serial number. The two letters indicate the year of manufacture: M=0, Z=1, Y=2, X=3, W=4, V=5, T=6, R=7, P=8, N=9.

FUTURE: Obviously, we have no control over the ammunition companies and the loads they will produce in the future. So, if in doubt, please check with us or the ammunition company before using new loads in your shotgun."

joe45c

thanks johnbt for the info, but it mostly dealt with invector and invector plus choke tube systems. My gun has fixed tubes, mod and imp. cyl. I think as big jim said i should be alright, if the day comes that we here in NY have to make the switch.

BigJimP

John's points are valid...and Brownings disclaimer is pretty broad ...and you can understand why they do that....

maybe its a good idea to find a gunsmith that has a good boregague ...so they can accurately measure the bore...and find the amount of constriction or difference between the bore and the choke area of each barrel....so you really know how tight it is....( just because it says Modified...) maybe its a little tighter...or maybe its a little looser ...no way to really know unless you have it checked - and measured accurately...

Its also possible to "hone out the choke a little" on the Modified barrel ...if a gunsmith thinks its a little too tight...for what you intend.

And, as you know, there are other options for non-toxic than steel as well.../ if you're worried about it ...

Last edited:

joe45c

thanks guys, when the time comes and i have to make the change from lead i'll have the barrels checked for tightness. For field use i'd probably use something other then steel like tungston, but for shooting clays that might get a little expensive. What does everyone else use for shooting clays where lead isn't allowed?

BigJimP

I don't know of a club that doesn't allow lead shot ...for any of the Clay target games...so its not an issue as far as I know....but I suppose there might be a few out there. ( I've shot "clays" in at least a dozen or so states or so ...over the last 15 yrs or so ....and never run into an issue with lead shot / but I have not visited a club in New York state ...).

Maybe you want to start a new thread ....and ask about shot restrictions for clay target clubs that you're interested in - in your neighboring states...

Now - most, if not all clubs, will limit shot size to no bigger than 7 1/2's ...no more than 1 1/8 oz of shot ...

......and a few clubs ( especially if they have neighbors close to the club ) have restricted the velocity of the shells to no more than 1200 fps ...as a way to keep the noise down...and some clubs have restricted barrel lengths on guns to no less than 26" ...

added note....I have not been there in a few yrs ...but I've shot sporting clays at Lehigh Valley outside Allentown, PA and at Nemacolin Woods south of Pittsburgh, PA ....and checking both of their current websites...it looks to me like they're still setup and accepting lead shot, offering gun rentals, lessons, etc..they were both nice clubs. A couple of clubs I checked in New York state....looked like they still allowed lead shot as well..but I don't have any personal info on them...

Last edited:

joe45c

thanks for the info bigjimp, like i said NY doesn't have any restrictions on lead except for waterfowl hunting, but it has come up in conversations and articles that changes may be on the way. it is good to know ranges don't restrict lead for trap shooting. I usually just go with my son and we shoot together. we take turns running my portable launcher. we use the citori and my 16ga. A5, but that has the invector system. again thanks for your help

Steel for skeet

My local club makes steel mandatory for skeet. Just because of how the fields point and a wetlands issue. Alot of pheasant preserves around michigan are going non-toxic. Say what u want but nothing kills like lead.

TheKlawMan

I don't know of a club that doesn't allow lead shot ...for any of the Clay target games...so its not an issue as far as I know....but I suppose there might be a few out there.

One of which is, surprise, surprise, in San Francisco. The shot fall is over water at Pacific Rod & Gun/