Posting Serial Numbers-warning

kraigwy

A couple years ago there was a topic on Model 70 Featherweights, dealing with the time period of Model 70s being made by Winchester or US Repeating arms.

I posted my Model 70 Featherweight showing the serial number and the recoil pad of the Winchester as opposed to the US Repeating arms. Or that my rifle was a Winchester.

Fast forward to yesterday. It was pointed out to me the pictures (including the serial number) showed up for sale on ArmsList.com.

Thanks to OLD JOE for pointing this out. Apparently my rifle is for sale in Jacksonville FL.

The thing is my rifle isn't for sale, its still in my Gun Safe.

I contacted Armslist and they removed the add and blocked the seller. Their fast action still doesn't make up for my stupidity.

Being a holiday I cant get a hold of ATF but I did contact a head honcho of DHS to check if my rifle had been reported stolen. He is going to start checking on the seller. Ill contact ATF tomorrow. I'd hate to get arrested for position of stolen property. Sure I can prove its mine but I don't want to spend a couple days in jail waiting for my chance to prove my case.

I bought the rifle in 1981 New when the Featherweight were re-issued. I bought it from the Gun Traders in Anchorage Alaska and its never been out of my position.

Still had Old Joe not brought this to my attention I could have run into problems.

I'm posting this hoping I can keep someone from making the same stupid mistake I made.

Evan Thomas

That is a drag, Kraig; but it's fortunate that you found out about this. Thanks for the heads-up -- it's an excellent reminder to us all to be careful about what we post.

Being a holiday I cant get a hold of ATF but I did contact a head honcho of DHS to check if my rifle had been reported stolen.
I'm not sure that DHS can really do anything. My first step would be to contact state police and have them run the serial number. They should have a database of stolen guns.

Most likely, the guy on Armslist just swiped your picture because it was better than whatever he could do on his cell phone.

DaleA

Thanks for the warning.

I guess the folk that xxx out their serial numbers are justified in doing so.

Most likely, the guy on Armslist just swiped your picture because it was better than whatever he could do on his cell phone.

I'd suspect this is what happened. Although it sure wouldn't be ethical to post the picture unless you explicitly said it wasn't a picture of the gun you were selling just an EXAMPLE of the gun.

When all is said and done though any wrong doing is on the guy that used the photo, not the guy that owns the gun.

SaxonPig

Really has nothing to do with the serial being made public. Stealing photos of guns to use as bait in a fraudulent sale happens regularly.

It has never been documented that anything bad has ever happened from posting a serial. The worry is always that someone will report your gun as stolen to take it from you. Remember that making a false police report is a crime, the cops aren't stupid, and take a dim view of anyone trying to use them to commit theft.

I have been posting this serial for about 12 years inviting anyone so inclined to attempt mischief. So far no takers.

70G30498

I have been posting this serial for about 12 years inviting anyone so inclined to attempt mischief. So far no takers.
To be honest, I'm not sure what mischief could really take place.

It's a stretch, but perhaps someone could report a gun with that number stolen.

Bushmaster1313

The law on stolen property isn't fair.
If you buy a gun from someone who thought is was his, but he unwittingly bought it from a thief, the original owner can recover it from you, but you have to go after the honest person you bought it from.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
Bushmaster1313 said:
The law on stolen property isn't fair.
If you buy a gun from someone who thought is was his, but he unwittingly bought it from a thief, the original owner can recover it from you, but you have to go after the honest person you bought it from.
Whether you consider it fair or not, it is what it is. And it's been that way for a very long time.

It tracks back to the basic principle that a thief can not acquire legal title (i. e., ownership in the legal sense) of something he steals. So if he doesn't own it, he can't pass on legal title (ownership) to someone who buys it.

And an understanding of this basic, legal principle should suggest to buyers that they might prefer buying things, especially expensive things, through well known, established, clearly legitimate channels.

mete

Buying and selling firearms --always check photo ID .
POlice visited my friend and asked to see a pistol. He showed them the pistol then asked what was the problem .Seems that the Luger had a twin with same number ! This was a possibility especially during wartime manufacture.

armoredman

Registered eh? Hate registration, why I live in Free AZ - none of that nonsense.

It would be VERY funny if someone reported my guns stolen, the few that did have serial numbers posted in the picture...I have all the documentation on their acquisition, as well. :) The funny guy would be laughing as he was arrested for filing a false police report.

jmr40

It would be VERY funny if someone reported my guns stolen, the few that did have serial numbers posted in the picture...I have all the documentation on their acquisition, as well. The funny guy would be laughing as he was arrested for filing a false police report.

The thing is, you or no one else would likely ever know they had been reported. The purpose is to collect insurance money when this happens, not to claim you have their gun. Unless you live in a state where guns are registered the odds are about one in a million of that gun turning up and the person being caught. Police can enter the SN number when it is reported stolen, but that does nothing to track down most guns until that gun surfaces later at a crime scene and is again in police custody. That will never happen as long as the gun is in your possession and is never involved in criminal activity.

In 40 years of owning guns and with several hundred coming and going the only time LE has ever entered one of my guns into the database was with the one that actually was stolen. And only a handful of guns that are stolen ever turn up again.

Not saying this is common, but it has happened. The fact that it is not reported often does nothing to prove it doesn't happen. It could just as well mean it is almost impossible to catch the people doing it.

armoredman

Maybe not "funny" per se, but briefly interesting because if I use my lawfully owned sidearm in a defensive shooting and it had been reported stolen, the PD would likely be able to locate the ne'er-do-wells and nab 'em for filing a false report and insurance fraud. My acquisition records are sealed in a fireproof place and backup off site. :) it would take about 5 minutes to prove to PD that my pistolas are legally owned.
Nope, no registration here, never has been. :)