Possible Trade for a Rem 798

XD Gunner

A friend has a Remington 798 .270Win. w/scope. It has had less than a box of ammo through it. He wants to trade even to my XD40 Bi-Tone. This is one of the first run XD's and has had thousands of rounds put through it, and has always been reliable.

Worth the trade from a monetary standpoint?

XD Gunner

It's a cheap one I'm sure. Probably a Simmons or something similar. The rifle was won, NIB, in a raffle he participated in, with the scope NIB. He attached the scope, and fired it maybe 6 or 7 times. Apparently he is pretty recoil sensitive (which cracks me up, he was a QB in high school) and the .270 is a little more than he wants to deal with out of the 798. He proposed an even trade between the two, and honestly, if it was a different caliber (.308/.243/.22-250) it would probably already be a done deal.

However, with it being a .270, I don't really need it, so only if it's for monetary gain, would I trade.

4sixteen

You'll probably be ahead by a few bucks in that deal.

I sure like my Remington 798's, I have a 300 Win. mag. and a 458 Win. mag. The fit and finish is excellent. These feature free-floating barrels and adjustable triggers. Mine have laminate stocks. Accuracy is very good. My 300 Win. mag. has a Nikon 3x9 scope, and my 458 has a Leupold 1x4 scope. :cool:

300winmag-1.jpg

798VX2e.jpg

Mobuck

Rem 798

Currently that product line is an orphan if that makes any difference. Wholesale on that rifle is under $400.

Buzzcook

Ask your friend if you can fire a box of ammo through the gun.

If you like it after that, then do the trade.

XD Gunner

It has a BSA Deerhunter scope on it, just got off the phone with him, and shooting it isn't an issue. I wish this gun was a different caliber, and it would probably be a done deal.

Whats the feasibility of having this gun re-chambered for .308Win?

Last edited:

handlerer

Rebarreling to 30-06 would seem to make more sense to me. Same bolt length, and same magazine length. A replacement barrel shouldn't be that expensive, but I can't quote a price nowdays.

XD Gunner

What's wrong with the .270??

I was wondering the same. You already have a lot of .308 ammo or something?

Absolutely nothing. It's my weapon of choice in my war on whitetails. That being said, I already have a Tikka T3 Lite, .270 Winchester that shoots cloverleafs at 100 yards and with scope weighs less than the 798 naked.

Okay. This gun being a 98 Mauser action. I would assume that normal toys (stocks and scope mounts, etc) meant for a Rem 700 action wont work with it, but toys designed for a 98 Mauser action will?

Scorch

OK, here's the logic tree:
A- The rifle is worth about $450, the XD is worth about $500. The scope is a paperweight, worth $50 or less. The rifle may actually be worth more without the scope, certainly not worth any more with it.

B- If you don't like the chambering, you could buy an Adams & Bennett barrel from Midway for $100 and have it installed by a gunsmith for about $100. You can pick your chambering and have it any way you want it.

C- So, for about $700, you can get the rifle in the chambering you want.

D- For $700, you could buy a Weatherby Vanguard in the chambering you want with a Leupold VX2 in Leupold bases and have money left over.

I wouldn't do it unless you really want a Mauser 98 in 270 Win.