Possible chamber issues .17 HMR

taylorce1

So I bought the Citadel Trakr .17 HMR the other day, off of gunbroker.com. I've really been looking for a .17 HM2, but threw a bid down on this rifle and won. I know I bought a cheap rifle, and I'm not expecting much out of it other than to be minute of praire dog which it is proving to be.

I'm just wondering how concerned I should be about brass that looks like this:

20230317_134740.jpg

20230317-134922.jpg

ernie8

I had a couple of 17 HMR revolvers that did that . I always wondered if they made a forcing cone for a .22 bullet since a .17 HMR will chamber and fire a .22 LR .

44 AMP

Staff
Sure looks like a .22WMR chamber. Its a .17 bore though, right??

I suggest getting a .22WMR round and putting it side by side with your fired case (with a ruler in the pic for rough measurement) and see how closely they match up.

DEFINATELY contact the maker on this! No matter if it isn't exactly .22WMR, the fired case should not look like that. Gun is new, the maker screwed up, they are the ones who should fix it, with all shipping and repair costs on their dime.

taylorce1

I had contacted Legacy Sports International already when I posted this. I'm waiting on a call tag to send it back to them. The bore is .17 cal I did check that at the muzzle.

20230317-143158.jpg

Kind of an ugly rifle anyway, but for $240 I thought it was worth the risk.

Last edited:

FrankenMauser

That isn't a .22 WMR chamber. It is even weirder. That's .22 WRF!
Bad day on the barrel line, I guess.
I hope they get it fixed quickly. Please let us know how it goes.

I was looking at those Trakrs the other day, wondering if they could make me bite and buy into .17 HMR.
I ended up passing, since I already have a WMR and .17-223 and the form factor wasn't really appealing to me.
But even for cheap rifles, they were still tempting.

taylorce1

FrankenMauser said:
But even for cheap rifles, they were still tempting.

Yes, I was tempted by the cheapness of it all. I found it on GB and it was it was $277 by the time it was all said and done. I bought 1000 rounds of Federal 17 grain V-Max and TNT HP to try, at $260 + shipping and taxes came out to $280. Not very often does the rifle cost less than the ammunition from the start.

Things I don't like about the rifle, other than the obvious.

The barrel threads are ½-20, so I had to buy a thread adapter ($35) to use my suppressor ½-28 pitch.

Magazines 5 rounds, are too short. They don't always fall out when the release is pushed. Magazine has to be perfect for the bolt to pickup first round, so you have to fiddle with it at times. It would be nice just to have the magazine stick out of the well, so you could manipulate it easier.

Non adjustable buttstock, but that's on me as I didn't research these. The stock overall is just cheap as well, but it is a cheap rifle and to be expected.

Niko Sterling scope 4-12X40 BDC, the dang reticle covers up almost a full MOA at 100 yards. Actually it's like ¾ MOA it covers, but the reticle is just too thick.

I'll probably shoot it this year if I see it back anytime soon. Legacy states 90-120 day turn around time on warranty work. Im sure that's due to the fact they just import the rifles. After I play with it awhile, I may buy another Bergara BMR or give the Tikka a try in .17 HMR.

jetinteriorguy

I picked up a Savage 93FV for $220.00 a couple years ago and put a Hawke scope on it and for a cheap rifle it shoots sub MOA out to 150yds so far. Crazy for such a cheap rifle, I love the .17HMR.

taylorce1

jetinteriorguy said:
I picked up a Savage 93FV for $220.00 a couple years ago

I have a Savage 93 FV in .22 WMR that I bought in 98 or 99. I love the rifle too, and it cost me $135 all in with a Simmons 3-9X40.

I've upgraded it a little over the years. Recently got it back from being threaded for my suppressor.

20230318-135556.jpg

Last edited:

jetinteriorguy

I have a Savage 93 FV in .22 WMR that I bought i 98 or 99. I love the rifle too, and it cost me $135 all in with a Simmons 3-9X40.

I've upgraded it a little over the years. Recently got it back from being threaded for my suppressor.

20230318-135556.jpg
I like that stock, what is it? I have a chunk of dense foam duct taped on top of mine to raise my eye up level with the scope.

taylorce1

It's a Richard's Microfit, I couldnt tell you the exact stock anymore (I believe the Safari Monte Carlo). I always thought the forend rosewood cap needed trimmed and shaped. However I was in a hurry to shoot prairie dogs back in the day so it has never had more than a lick and a promise after bedding to sanding and shaping. I've had that stock on there nearly 20 years now, but it rides the bags better than the original synthetic stock that I still have.

Last edited:

taylorce1

Well finally got a call tag, took several emails to Legacy. I don't know what happened there, as they kept saying they weren't receiving my emails. Will keep everyone posted if my rifle returns, sounds like they might just replace it.

44 AMP

Staff
I would expect, at a minimum, a new barrel with a correctly cut chamber, plus all costs on their dime.

An explanation of how it happened would be nice, but I wouldn't expect one. My personal experience with gun makers "lemons" is rather limited but I'll give a couple of examples I know of first hand.

One, a revolver barrel started to unscrew. You could see it easily by eye. It want back to the maker and when it came back from them the barrel was straight, again. And they sent a note "nothing done".

Second one, a pistol had the wrong ejector installed. Got sent back, turn around time was only four working days (weekend in the middle) and the company VP called the owner and apologized, stating it never should have left the factory in that condition, and that someone was not going to have a Merry Christmas.....

SO, they might repair your rifle, or they might replace it, and they should tell you what work was done. Beyond that, who knows.

taylorce1

Got the email from Legacy today, and they are sending me a brand new rifle. Unfortunately that means I have to fill out a new 4473 and pay another $35 to get my rifle. Kind of disappointing, but what can you do?

44 AMP

Staff
You might check into the idea that its NOT a "new" rifle. While it is mechanically new, it's not a "new" gun, its a REPAIR by replacement, not a new purchase.

The manufacturer can, as I understand it, legally mark it with the serial number of the gun you sent them. The old receiver is retained (and destroyed) by the maker, and a new one marked with "your" gun's number.

This is what I think they should do. However, they might just send you an already finished one with its own number as a replacement. You might check with your FFL about that, since its a replacement, it is the "factory repair" of your gun and I wouldn't charge your for an unneeded background check. However, I'm not in the business, and your FFL will charge what he charges.

taylorce1

This is what the email stated:
It has been determined that we will need to replace your firearm. Please reply to this email and let us know which FFL dealer you would like to use for the transfer. Please note because this is a new serial number there will be a transfer fee associated with this. Legacy Sports International cannot cover those costs due to state and federal laws.

stagpanther

AFAIK--this is probably correct--the fed requires registration of serial numbers when they change ownership and individual states and shipping companies may make up their own requirements outside of federal ones. LI is functioning as manufacturer importer/distributer too, I suspect the breadcrumb trail requirement for serial numbers is a bit more stringent in their case than it would be for your local bubba GS.

That said--my personal opinion is that they should offer you some kind of equivalent compensation for your trouble--that speaks to their level of customer service. There's saving a few bucks in a situation like this--or loosing a lot of potential customers who read this thread the way I see it. But that's business in the US today--many businesses don't care anymore and will stick it to their customers when they can.

Last edited: