posse comitatus

tyme

Administrator
http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/South/11/20/kidnapping.fugitive/index.html

Investigators believe Fulks, 25, and fellow convict Branden Basham, 21, who was arrested Sunday in Kentucky, kidnapped Alice Donovan from a parking lot in Conway, South Carolina, Thursday. About 40 miles north of Conway, sheriff's deputies, state police and U.S. Marines are searching an 850-square-mile area along U.S. Highway 17 for any sign of the missing woman.
Is anyone keeping track of the energy being generated by the spinning of the magnet-laden founding fathers?

houndawg

What's posse comitatus have to do with this? The Marines aren't involving themselves in any type of law enforcement endeavor against the people, they're they're trying to help find a missing woman by adding manpower to the search party.

bastiat

The police work is basically done, now they're helping out on what could probably be called 'search and rescue'. They're not trying to find lawbreakers, they're trying to find a crime victim before she dies of exposure and stavation (If she is still alive - hopefully she is)

The missing woman is the sister of a member at Free Republic. :(

Nanaimo Barr

if that was my wife or daughter missing I sure would appreciate the Marines helping to look for her. it's not a criminal apprehension case, it's a search for a missing women..

DadOfThree

I have posted my disapproval of the military being used for law enforcement. As stated by the others on this thread, this is not law enforcement. This is a simple search and rescue and that is a good thing for the military to be involved in. Serves a good purpose and is good training for them.