porting or compensator on 3" barrel?

canuck1911

ANybody have any advice or experience with this on a 3" revolver barrel? (.45lc). I'm thinking about getting it done, and wondering
about the pros and cons.

Cougar

I'm not a fan of porting. A friend of mine had a ported six-inch .357. I shot it a few times and I hated the flash in my face. I found it too distracting. On your snubbie, the ports would direct the gasses (and powder particles and lead shavings) upwards. Think of how you would be shooting. If you are shooting from the hip (point shooting) you might cause damage to yourself. At other times, that gout of flame shooting upwards might distract you (or ruin your night vision) when you need it most.

Porting works best with a high pressure round. Your .45LC does not qualify as a high pressure round. If you need to attenuate the recoil of a full Magnum load, porting might be nice, but not in .45 colt.

I also shoot a 3" snub, mine in .38. I prefer the balance and the longer sight radius of the three inch. No, my 3" is not ported. I wouldn't want it if it was. I also optimize my loads for low flash powders. I don't want any distraction in my defense gun.

Steve Smith

I totally disagree with the "firing a ported gun from a retention stance might hurt you" idea. I (unintentionally) fired a Cor-Bon .45 Colt from a Taurus Total Titanium (ported) with my hand about 2" above the ports. Scared me to death (it was a negligent discharge) but I took note of how the porting affected me. I DID notice a warm sensation on the hand that was above the ports, but it was on and off so fast, that there was NO pain and NO damage to me at all. I think that the "blast" is so incredibly fast, that IMHO, it will not hurt you. Does this make sense to you? I hope so.