ported barrels, are they any good?

mkiker2089

I've been day dreaming about my next purchase and I'm thinking about a Taurus Tracker 627. I'm interested to see what a ported barrel is like, especially on a revolver. I'd probably use 38 special all the time but I'd get a 357 so who knows.

Also, do ported barrels help more or less on the traditional semi-autos like the Performance line from Smith and Wesson.

stubbicatt

I have little experience, only one ported revolver, and only a few rounds through it. I found that the perceived muzzle flip is countered by the port, and the shot fall on target confirmed it.

I found this by shooting mild loads of WW231 and moderate loads of 2400 shot to the same point of aim using 357 magnum cartridges in a S&W 586 L-Comp.

Granted it was an unscientific test, but I found it interesting.

Someone will come along and give you better information.

leadcounsel

I'm indifferent on the topic.

I have a 4" Taurus .357 that's ported, and I recall feeling some but minimal difference. My carry gun is a G23 .40 that's ported. It was acquired in a trade and I've grown to really like the gun. But I wouldn't go out of my way to get one or avoid one.

The "science" is supposed to reduce recoil by 10 or 20%. I dunno.

Some will say it can "blind" you or cause "burns" if you have a close contact shot. Again, no clue but doubt these are real world issues.

I wouldn't overthink it or worry to much on the topic.

g.willikers

How well a compensator or ported barrel helps with felt recoil and reduced muzzle flip depends very much on the ammunition used.
The higher the pressure (and the higher the velocity) the better they work.
The stance and grip technique is also a factor.
A ported barrel can't overcome a weak grip and unbalanced stance.
Hope this helps and doesn't add to the confusion.

Dave Chuppa

I have a 4" 627. It's a fun shooting gun. I have shot hot 357 JHP, It handles it fine. The ports make it a little louder but I always have hearing protection on. From 38 special on up to hot 357. It has held up well and shoots accuratley.

DPris

Member Emeritus
For .38 Specials, I wouldn't bother.
There IS value with .357s.

Semi-autos sorta depend on caliber & configuration.
I do have a ported .357, but wouldn't personally spend the money in getting it done on a semi-auto.

The particulate ejecta through the ports varies with different ammunition & bullet types.
On my .357, I did some particulate comparisons & some port flash comparisons.

Very little particle impression on sheets of white copy paper held above the ports with several jacketed loads.

Port flash CAN be another issue, but that also varies with ammunition.
Many commercial loads now use a flash-retardant in their powder, if you try a few you can easily find a good defensive load that won't blow your night vision temporarily if used in the dark.

In my .357 testing I found half a dozen that produced barely visible light through the ports.
There were a couple that did create bright twin flame jets, but just don't use any that do.

If you port, and then reload your own ammo, try a couple or three different powders & go with the lowest flash signature.

If you're just talking range gun, the flash doesn't matter.
Denis

Mill rat

Ported 627

Have to pretty much agree with past owners reports. Only thing I have noticed is another spot that demands attention when cleaning.

Bob Wright

Ported barrels don't really reduce recoil to any noticible degree. They do reduce muzzle flip to some degree.

Recoil is the effect caused by bullet weight and velocity, and porting doesn't affect that much. But some powders do produce high pressure gasses that make a "jet effect" when venting from the ports to hold the muzzle down.

The only time I've seen much difference was when used on Thompson Contenders in the really big calibers such as .45-70 and .444 Marlin.

Bob Wright

mkiker2089

Muzzle flip is more of what I'm looking at. Recoil on a 38 isn't bad especially with the heavy Taurus 627ss6. Muzzle flip on a revolver is more pronounced for me, but it doesn't seem to affect aim. There's a giant thread in another subgroup about that however.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Muzzle flip is typically an integral component of recoil & inseparable for most people.

Porting does make a difference in the .357.
Denis

Bongo Boy

I've had only one case where I can compare the same gun and ammo before and after, and porting (at great expense) had no perceptible affect of any kind. I wouldn't expect miracles.

DWFan

Both Bob Wright and DPris are right. The porting doesn't reduce the recoil as much as it reduces muzzle rise, but they are looked at as the same by most folks. The weight of the gun has more effect on actual felt recoil. I own a Taurus M607 that's been rechambered for the .360 Dan Wesson (.357 Maximum shortened to 1.415") and a Dan Wesson M15-2. Both have 6" barrels. Shooting .38 Specials, the difference is barely noticable but the Taurus definitely has more muzzle flash and is slightly louder. Step up to factory Magnum ammo and the difference is readily apparent with an even greater muzzle flash and decibel level with the Taurus but more muzzle rise with the Dan Wesson. The Dan Wesson is lighter than the Taurus so the felt recoil is also considerably sharper than the Taurus. Now put a 2" barrel on the Dan Wesson and, with max. pressure loads, the recoil becomes extreme. The Taurus with .360 DW ammo, on the other hand, remains quite comfortable to shoot.
Bottom line is this. If the Taurus didn't come factory ported, I wouldn't spend the money to have it done. It is of some benefit though.

Last edited:

AzShooter

I've never noticed any difference with my revolvers. Enough gas is escaping through the cylinder gap to eliminate the advantage of the porting.

On my 929 which comes with the port or a cap to eliminate it I don't see any difference. I have fired some guns with 4 holes machined on the barrel and can see a difference in hot loads but not in the bunny fart loads I use for competiton.:D

psyfly

I recommend test of firearm and ammo combination before SD use.

DPris: "Very little particle impression on sheets of white copy paper held above the ports with several jacketed loads"

I was quite skeptical about the flash discharge from my ported CCW being problematic for SD use. So I conducted a test similar to that of DPris:

Sheet of white copy paper in a make-shift frame.

Fired the weapon approximately 4 inches below the paper.

Port flash blew the paper out of the frame and tore it almost into two pieces, with distinct brown burn marks around the edges of the tear. If I can find the photo, I will edit it into this post.

Obviously, outcome can vary widely with gun and ammo.

Please exercise adequate precautions.

Best,

Will

DPris

Member Emeritus
Re effectiveness- I have two 3-inch Ruger GPs, one ported, one not.
There is a noticeable difference in muzzle rise between the two identically configured guns with the same weight.
In rapid fire, the ported gun recovers faster, and in slower fire returns to sights-on faster.

Re the particulate test- Of course you'll burn paper 4 inches above the ports.
The primary concern about the porting being a hazard to your person from those ports if held close to the body is very dependent on how close & in what position.

Most people are worried about particulates (burned carbon or unburned powder granules) to the face.
You fire a revolver from the hip area, close to the body, you risk burns & ejecta from the B/C gap almost as much as the ports.

You fire a ported gun low & slightly in front, in the case of an attacker who's almost on top of you where you can't extend fully out front, it's possible for ejecta to be sprayed upward and into your facial area, depending on where the gun is relative to your face.

The ports are little threat to clothing if they spray somewhat toward it at a lower position. No more in most cases than sideways flash from the B/C gap.

They are unlikely to pose much threat to your face.
My tests were conducted with the paper farther above the gun, to simulate the actual distance it might be fired from the face.

The "flame" and pressure "concussion" segment of the discharge had burned itself out before hitting the paper.
And there was only very minute tracing of particulate impact on paper, with one or two loads.
No paper was burned or torn at all.
The concerns about porting a revolver are much overdone.

Can you burn yourself with a ported gun?
Sure, but it'd take some doing & the odds are very much stacked in your favor.
Denis

RCJH

I have a vented barrel on my Glock 23C (Obvious from the "C") It does reduce recoil but only minimally..Its barely noticeable. What IS more noticeable is the flame that comes out of the vents. It does "spray" alot more and it does cause momentary loss of target in my experience at the range.. Now i suppose with cleaner ammo (was using WWB) that would be reduced, somewhat. But to be honest i'll never get another vented barrel handgun again. I'd rather see what i'm shooting and not lose sight of it, even for a split second.

micromontenegro

I have two identical 4 inch Pythons, one stock and one magnaported. Shooting them side by side, I just can't tell which is which. Maybe I am just insensitive.

At cleaning time, I do bitch and moan about the stuff that adheres around the porting.