portable reloading

mjc

So, anyone have a good portable reloading setup that works, or ideas on loading at the range? I'm thinking some kind of box, with basics inside, and maybe a press bolted/ clamped to the outside. I often want to try different powders/ bullets/ seating lenghts, and don't want to load a bunch at home then find they don't work at range. Also, something to do while gun cools!:rolleyes: I have a lee handloader, but i'm not sure if it'll full lenght size rifle cases, or if i'd want to use it! Pictures of your set up that works would be awesome:D

armedandsafe

The Lee hand loader whould work just fine. When I was in Alaska, I carried a Lyman 310 in my pack. It worked reasonably well on -06 and very well on .45 and 32-20.

Pops

ribbonstone

Use to use 310's (tong tools), and still would if things worked out differently...currently using a Lee hand press, wich works very well. Have to figure out a good way to measure powder, scales doen't work real well out in the wide-open but figured out a way.

The whole kit can fit in a plastic shoe box...and if you flip the box over the scale to create a wind shield, will get accurate measurements and can set the measure.

SDLAW

I made a plate out of 1/4 inch bar stock that is attached to the end gate of my pickup with holes drilled and tapped to bolt my press down. I use 3/8" thumb screws with a nut for a stop. For developing the loads I bought a power inverter that plugs into my cigarette lighter and set my electric scale and dispencer on a board cut to fit the floorboard. A few plastic tubs for powder, bullets, primers and misc tools and you are ready to spend the day at the range.

I also use the Lee hand tool with pre-prepped cases and an RCBS competition seater for rifle. The only exception is for handgun rounds: in case I want extras, I carry a set of Lee Speed Dies for their compactness.

I keep a separate inexpensive dial caliper and a separate inexpensive thimble micrometer in the box. Spare batteries and paper for the chronometer and its printer. A Stoney point seating depth tool, as well.

The latest addition is the CED Pocket Scale. Beautifully compact, accurate, stable, and has a folding wind shield inside.

I carry two or three Lee Perfect measures with a Kwik Klamp to hold the one I am using on the bench. I usually put the powder in and a couple rubber bands over the lid and to hold the label on when I head to the range.

Nick

mjc

portable loading

Well, thanks for the input!:D Some good ideas, i guess i'll try some, or a combination of them and see how it goes. My buddy suggested buying a van or trailer, a good idea, but not the most practical (but with camo paint might make a good blind come fall....):rolleyes: hahaha I think prepped cases will be the main ingrediant, no trimming, sizing etc, just measure powders and seat bullets.. can leave most stuff at home....:)

BigJakeJ1s

I use a Huntington Compac hand press, and it is the best hand press available. It is far more accurate, less springy, and has more leverage than the Lee or Lyman accupress, while being smaller than them to boot. It is at it's best with a rcbs competition style seater (where you insert the bullet in the die above the press), since the compac's dual guide rails can make handling a bullet on top of the case a little touchy, but I've gotten along fine without one for pistol cartridges. I also mounted a 4" diameter circle of hardwood to it, so it is still a hand press, but it will stand up on a bench or table by itself. It has a built-in primer seating punch too, but I have not used that feature. I still use a Lee hand press for depriming, since it captures the spent primer/debris in the hollow ram.

Andy

essexcounty

I have a dedicated press for reloading out at the bench. For four dollars I picked up an old C-H "C" press off e bay, had a box built out of plywood to hold it ana a scale and trickler. The box has a piano hinge so it can be opened the long way and holes are drilled in the top for the press to be mounted with wing nuts whilr the box is spread apart about 45 degrees. Works well, is stable and the box cost me a six-pack of Corona...Life is good..........Essex

mjc

any chance of you shooting a photo of this set-up? i think it's what i'm thinking of, but i'm more of a visual person and a picture is worth 1000 words...:D do you use any sort of powder measure, or just the scale? i have a set of lee scoops, i just i could use those to get close and trickle from there...Thanks MC

Dark Canyon

One of the better mobile reloading systems was the old Lyman Acculine press. This press could be used by hand or mounted on a bench. They haven't been made for years but a gun shop in San Antonio, TX still has a few in stock and will ship it to you with a set of dies for a very reasonable price. Go to www.nagelsguns.net and follow the reloading thread.

BigJakeJ1s

I started out with a Lee hand press, and when I did not like the springiness of it, nor the misalignment of it under pressure, I started looking for alternatives. I looked long and hard at the accupress, and almost picked one up at a gun show, but it was not in the best condition. It is much better built than the Lee hand press. Very interesting design, but you have to remove and reverse the handle to convert from hand press to bench press. So as long as you don't want to alternate between hand and bench mounted use, it is a very good press at a good price too, when you can find it. I ended up finding out about the Huntington (see my post above) and went with it instead.

Andy

uscra112

I'm with Big Jake. The Lee press is very weak, and the one I got (long ago) wasn't even machined very accurately. About 3-4 years ago I bought the Compac hand press, and now unless I'm going to load more than 25 rounds or so, that's what I use all the time. Beautiful little gadget, it will full-length size almost anything, as long as you lube the cases. Doesn't need a bench at all, and since it's small and mostly aluminum it packs easy.