Portable, durable camera for gunsmithing/machining

dakota.potts

Anybody keep a camera around the shop? I'm wanting one I can mount up above me when working on guns to record video and picture of disassembly, modifications, etc and get footage for a "how to" style of video.

Also want something fairly rugged and mountable. Would be great to have one with a magnetic mount I could put on the back of a lathe to capture video of lathe work (say, crowning a muzzle or chambering a barrel) and not worry about oil, chips, etc disabling it. There is always the GoPro but it is very expensive.

Just curious if anybody uses one of these in the shop.

Gunplummer

That is a good idea. Not the "Watch me work" nonsense, but the parts disassembly. You take apart a dozen guns and let them lay a while and you soon forget a lot of it. It would save a lot of time.

Bill DeShivs

I have used a pair of video sunglasses with the lenses removed.
In theory, this gives the same view that I see when working. I do keep a digital camera in the shop. It's handy for seeing where things were before you disassembled.

dakota.potts

I knew a guy in the class before me that carefully laid out each part after disassembly and took a picture in case one was lost. Video is just another step to help. I do like having reference video of doing other jobs to show people who are curious about the processes, hence wanting to be able to follow me for different tasks

FrankenMauser

Most professional amateurs on the interwebs seem to end up with GoPros or custom-built cases to protect the camera, after they go through half a dozen or so around grinders, lathes, drill presses, mills, welders, and sanding/blasting dust.

---

I run dash cameras in all of my vehicles, and usually test the cameras before mounting them. Typically, that means setting it up over my workbench while I'm working on a gun project.
With 160 to 170 degree lenses, it means that detail is lost if the camera isn't fairly close. But... if the camera could be mounted on something like a magnifier lamp over the work bench, or a wall behind the bench, it might work.

My primary work bench is 36" tall. When I hang a dash cam in the floor joists above it (roughly 50-55" above the bench), it's too far away to pick up important details unless the camera is very high quality and the video is viewed on a large TV (50+ inches). On the average computer monitor (or smaller device), the details still really be seen, even in 1920x1080 video.
The wide field of view is just too much of a handicap.

If you want some recommendations, I can give you some. But I don't think a dash camera would be the best option.
There are other cameras out there with similar features, but narrower fields of view, that should be better for the job -- and probably cheaper.

michaeldarnold

I'd check in at the local pawn shops and see if you can get a DSLR for cheap and then use it for video recording.

Your only limiting factor may be the age and storage capacity of older cameras, but the mountability of a real camera is second to none. The mounting lug is an industry standard. I think it is 1/4-20.

Plus you get the possibility of changing lenses to suit your needs.