Poor Hunting Weather

Picher

After Youth Day on the last Saturday of October, we haven't had what I'd say were good conditions.

We're sick of full moon nights, windy and/or rainy days, blue sky days and other poor conditions. There was a Nor-easter that dumped wet snow and had 50 mph gusts that really made a mess of the woods. The day after, we couldn't even walk in the woods, due to all the trees bent over and covered with snow. Lots of broken trees/tops in the woods, but the snow is gone.

Since then, we've only seen two deer, which I jumped out of their beds, but couldn't get a decent shot.

The only good thing is that I'm retired, so can go hunting 6 days a week, if I want.

Sorry for complaining.

Mobuck

Fortunately, 2014 youth season was quite good here in MO. Weather was 30ish and low wind first morning when 10YO Grandson got his first buck and in the low 50's with light wind that afternoon when 9YO Grandson got his first buck. That was the end of the deer hunting but the boys got to go squirrel hunting Sunday afternoon when the wind was blowing in the 15 mph range. I think youth success was fairly good overall from the comments I've heard.
Regular rifle season opens Saturday and I'm expecting below freezing all day with moderate wind and maybe precip. If the hunters can stand the cold and wet, it should be good. Likely will have wind (which I dislike ) for most of the first week of season. The time and $$ I spent building "deer houses" may prove it's value those first few days.

Saltydog235

Yeah, you don't have anything to complain about at all. Try 95+ degrees, 80-95% humidity, no breeze and mosquitos for the first part of the season. Throw in copperheads, rattlesnakes, and moccasins for a little extra. Then the wasps, yellow jackets and bees. Now we got cool temps in the AM that a warm weather fellow has to bundle up for and you still have the mosquitos in the afternoon. Then you have pressured deer and full moons, big bucks get awful smart by this time of year.

If it was nice, pleasant and easy, it wouldn't be nearly as fun. It's called hunting for a reason.

Picher

Thanks I needed to hear that others have worse problems (as if I didn't expect that).

Good news...a cloudy night tonight and cooler weather on the horizon. It was just a matter of time...and luck.

Saltydog235

Glad I could help. I'm hoping we get a couple of good frosts soon. Kill some mosquitos, sweeten up the collard greens and gets those oysters just about perfect. And maybe get a little daytime movement on these wood goats.

hooligan1

Were possibly looking forbtwo inches of snow on our deer season opener Saturday, hope it hold off, hate to drive 1and half hours in that crud.:(

reloader28

Its been by far the worst season ever around here.
Way too warm (60*+) until now. Now its way too cold (-16*without windchill).

We had blue tongue come thru last year and right now are sitting at less than 1/5 of our normal deer population. In fields where 2 years ago we saw 400+ deer, you are lucky to see 40.

My season starts Dec 1st. Retirement makes hunting ten times funner. More time doing prep and scoping out stuff. And (if the spousal unit doesn't make plans for me) can hunt all I want to unless the flu bug gets involved.

nickE10mm

You could have it worse, TRUST me. My dad died in May 2013 and I really have nowhere to go anymore to even hunt. Just started a new job in a new town (after working 8 years for another company) and I won't be able to hunt at all this season.

Have fun and get back out there. Some of us can't at all.

Since then, we've only seen two deer, which I jumped out of their beds
Laying deer. Nothing moving. Time to shake-up those woods with Posts and Drives. Wet woods are never preferred when it comes to Still Hunting. But since your retired. Like you said, you have the whole season to get out and hunt.