Poor finish on stoeger cougars?

jagwire

I was looking around at a local hardware store yesterday and three pretty neat looking little pistols caught my eye through the glass. Three brand new stoeger cougars. I had heard of the stoeger cougar but never handled one. I got to looking closer and even through the glass i could see there were quite a few scratches on the slide of one of them. I looked closer and all three were that way. It looked like the scratching was under the bluing in the metal. I was pretty surprised at the crappy finish on all three of these. Is this a common problem with this gun or possibly an isolated case.

LockedBreech

My friend's Cougar (full size, blue slide and frame, 9mm 8000F) is currently stored at my house.

I think they are fantastic bargains and perfectly functional guns that are well-built, but the finish, while claiming to be the same as Beretta's Bruniton, is notably inferior to my Beretta PX4.

Still a great gun for the price.

labhound

I have two Stoegers, an 8000 F and an 8045. Both have an excellent finish as well as being an overall excellent gun, 100% reliable, accurate and soft shooting.

Stringfellow

Amazing bargain for the price. But their weakness is their finish. The anodizing on my frame was fine, but the finish on the slide was really rough looking. It had a rough paint grain to it that really looked out of place. I ended up polishing the slide with 2000 grit sandpaper, and now it looks much more like the Beretta version.

Pukindog12

I have two Cougars (8000 F) and both have held up wonderfully through shooting, being carried, storage, cleaning, being practiced with, dry firing, general handling, etc. Both look like NIB from the factory. Zero complaints here on a remarkable pistol. ;)

But I also don't use mine for a soccer ball or clean it with a sand blaster. :p

dogtown tom

If you want a near perfect finish on a Cougar....get a Beretta.
If you want the same gun for hundreds less....get the Stoeger.

The Stoeger don't have the same quality of finish as the Berettas because that would add mucho $$$$$ to the price tag.

wbw

I've had no problems with the finish on my Stoeger.

Cougar9001.jpg