Pondering a Pocket Pistol Purchase...

Sixer

I'm thinking about adding to the handgun collection in the near future. As of right now I have a Glock 23, H&K P7, and a Sig 239 (9mm). All are about the same size and can be used for CCW. Lately I've been thinking about something more concealable for jogging, business attire, and maybe even the gym.

Here are a few things I want to consider before making a decision...

- size (small enough for pocket carry)
- price (working with about $500 but less is better)
- used but not abused (not against buying a nice used pistola)
- caliber (would prefer something in 9mm since I already have two 9's and would rather keep things simple when it comes to ammo)
- value (when I buy a gun, I rarely plan on selling it but I am willing to spend more on something that will retain it's value)

Open to suggestions :)

goodspeed(TPF)

I am in the same boat as you. I have been seriously considering the ultra compact 9mm from Kahr.

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_pm.html

mdtl_pm9093.jpg

Kahr Pistols: 9mm models PM Series
PM9093
PM9093 (3" Barrel)
Black polymer frame, matte stainless slide
MSRP: $786.00

PM9093N (3" Barrel)
Black polymer frame, matte stainless slide with Tritium night sights
MSRP: $908.00

I really want to shoot one.

hdawson228

I think some of the Kahr series would work for pocket carry. The whole line I think is designed for deep concealment.:cool:

Tophe

Good post....I have been pondering the same thing.....Also considering a small .380 like the idea of a 9mm though.

I like the Kahr PM9's, but they are a little pricy...Im also curious to see what everyone says!

Ace_Breaker

The only true pocket pistol that I have is the Ruger LCP. I think my PPK, P7, and others are too big. I carry the LCP in a pocket holster and just throw it in a front or back pocket. It's weight make it an awesome little CCW for summer carry. It is very reliable. My purchase price was $265 out the door, so I think I've got value there. My total investment for this package was around $330, with holster, after getting the barrel and slide finished in ceracoat. This is a must have handgun for me. I won't be without a LCP in the safe.

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

PSP

When I think pocket gun, I think small and thin. My choice is the Seecamp. It may be difficult to find one less than $500 though. Tough to find a PM9 for that price too.

Walt Sherrill

Lots of choices, but I'd look at these, new or used:

1) Kel-Tec P3AT
2) Ruger LCP
3) Kahr PM-9
4) Kahr P9
5) Kel-Tec PF-9
6) Kel-Tec P-11

I've had or shot all of these but the LCP, and like them all, but for different reasons. (Have never owned a PM-9, but would consider it.) Now own and carry the P3AT, P9 and PF-9 at different times. The P-11 will work as a pocket gun for some folks, but not for me. It could be a good wasteband carry gun, though, with its own little factory-option "hanger."

I'm less comfortable with the .32s. I shot a Seecamp .32 and thought it very uncomfortable. The Berretta .32 (Tomcat) was more pleasant, but kind of bulky [wide].

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to get the Kahr, but can't see having $700+ to spend on a gun anytime in the near future. Same goes for Seecamp and Rorbaugh. I'm probably going to end up with a LCP or maybe a Kel-Tec PF-9. I also have my eye on the Taurus 738 .380. I'll be taking a serious look at that one if it ever hits the shelves.

mrt949

I looked hard trying to decide on a pocket gun .I have owned all the kel-tecs gave them to the kids and got a SEECAMP 32. Best the money can buy Nothing wrong with the K.T.'S I deserve something better I like the feel of steel.:D

Rex B

I like my LCP, but I also like the P3AT.
You can pick the Keltecs up for a lot less, and a lot of people prefer them - not as slippery, and they are the Original.
If you like the 1911 SA design, take a look at a Sig P238.

Steve1911

EAA makes the guardian .380 that is small enough to fit in my pocket, you might give that one a look...

You won't go wrong with the Sig P238, or the H&K

ReNtaPiG

I just bought a pocket pistol!!! S&W Model 638 Airweight Snub w/shrouded hammer $400

0720091818-1.jpg

and a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster $15

0721092223a.jpg

and Remington 110gr .38 Special +P SJHP 50rnd Box $40

0720092040.jpg

$400
$15
$40
$455 b4 tax

rsxr22

The LCP when looking at a solely pocket pistol is a good choice. I prefer the Walther PPS. Very slim and depending on dress can be carried in the pocket. They run a little more than $500 though so you might need to locate a slightly used one.

(BH)

I would say look at:

NAA Guardian (very cool, though not 9mm)
S&W or Taurus J-frames
LCP/P3AT
LCR
Kahr

I plan on getting a Guardian .380 or .32naa sometime soon for a pocket carry. It's designed mostly by Kahr Arms as a Seecamp clone. They are heavier the an LCP but that's not a big deal to me, plus the all steel design is better for me (less "pocket gun recoil", more practice).

Shadi Khalil

For pocket carry you might want to look for a used Kahr PM9. The price might be out of your stated range even used. I've seen them fetch as high as 675.00 on gun broker, but thats gun broker. If you have big pockets (literaly) you should look at the CW9. I just picked one up today and love it. It fits in the pocket but I couldnt imagine jogging with it. It is super light and very thin and can be had for under 500.00 brand new.

Stan200

Can't say enough good things about my LCP. It is truly a pocket gun and as reliable as anything I have ever shot.