Polytech M-14

Hiker

I'm looking at getting a M-14 and have read that the Polytech's receivers are forged and are considered extremely tough as per Fulton Armory (Springfields are cast according to Fulton Armory). I was going to go with a Springfield but a guy at my local gunshop said for the money the Polytech is hard to beat. You guys give me some suggestions on what I should be looking for in a M14, I'm going to a gunshow this coming weekend and will be looking to buy. I would really appreciate any suggestions.
Hiker

Jaeger

I remember a series of articles several years ago about the Chinese M 14s. (I don't remember what the magazines were) The gist of the articles was that the rifles were crap. Apparently the receivers were improperly heat treated and were too soft and were causing serious headspace problems. I remember one article culminating in the local range trash cans being full of Chinese m 14s. I beleive there were several gunsmiths who were advertising that they would re heat treat the receivers to bring them up to proper specs. Also, I don't think that the parts are interchangable with American parts. (Gun Parts is advertising Chinese M 14 bolts saying that American made bolts will not fit into Chinese receivers without major machine work.)

Both Fulton Armory and Smith Enterprise will heat treat the Chinese Polytech M14 receiver.

If you're serious about an M14 type firearm, go with Smith Enterprise. While the Smith is casted like Springfield Armory, it's dimensions are mil-spec. Springfield subcontracts out their casting and on some receivers, there's an inherent flaw which most folks don't know to check for.

The web of the receiver (or bridge as some call it) is that piece in the middle which the bolt must travel over prior to locking up. There's a section which must be milled clean (or casted cleanly) for the tail of the firing pin to travel through. If it's rough, the firing pin tail can wear and eventually, may fail. This could result in slamfires.

If you're serious about buying a Springfield, bring a M1 Garand receiver along so that you can compare the web. Otherwise, buy a Smith Enterprise and have the peace of mind that you're buying a quality receiver.

I did another posting here at the rifle forum of the Firing Line and you can do a search under my username for it.

Jaeger is right about parts interchangeability with the Polytech M14. It's metric and many parts won't interchange.

I should mention there is one slight flaw with my Smith Enterprise M14. They forgot to put the markings on the receiver for windage adjustment. Mine is an early one (Ser #15xx) and they've corrected it a long time ago.

jimc

will somebody PLEASE explain why an ar-15 cast rec. is not up to the quality of a forged one but a cast m-14 rec. is better than a forged one? i have had numerous poly m-14's and they shot as well if not better than s/a ones(not talking match grade) just stock as for interchangeability trigger group, flash hider ,sights, and some small stuff interchanges, i am dealing with two gunsmiths who actually prefer the poly rec.off which ,they like fulton ,build off of to make some very nice rifles. yes there is a question about heat treating however the article stated that there was some question as to if the poly. rec and rifle in general would hold up after 9-10K rounds! the polytec legend series of ak-47's is said to be one of the best yet the polytec m-14/s isn't. come on take the pepsi challenge. if you can buy a p/t m-14/s for $600. or less buy it i feel you will like it

Ken Cook

I've got a Polytech M14(1.6inches at 100 yards w/factory non match ammo) and I have no real problems with it except the trigger pull. It's about the heaviest classic two stage military trigger I've ever seen. I plan to send it off to Fulton for their basic package soon, but this is more as a preventive measure than as a fix for anything. I don't KNOW that the heat treat is bad, and it still headspaces perfectly, but then again, I don't know that it's good either. Either way, it's still a good deal cheaper than a SA, which I think is a little over rated.
4V50 Gary said go with Smith Enterprises rcvr, if you plan on shooting competitive, i agree, Smith is THE BEST. But if you're not shooting comp, then it's probably not worth the money.

------------------
Your mind is your primary weapon.