polymer life

tango3065

I am doing a college research paper paper on the evolution of polymer, specifically polymer handguns and want to find a source or some opinions of polymer frame life span. Also I am not really talking round count just life span in general such as break down and brittleness. I know that 20 or so years is all we have to go on but they have to be some real world facts or even personal opinions on the longevity of polymer frames.

hdawson228

I'm confident my SA XD9 service will outlive me. But then, I'm pretty old. About the same age as dirt. :D
Today being my birthday, I am reminded that the clock keeps ticking.

JohnKSa

Administrator
This comes up from time to time. I don't have hard data for very many different firearms, but I do know that a Glock frame will be mechanically degraded by 0.05% after exposure to UV light equivalent to approximately 100 years of continuous sunlight exposure.

The more pertinent point is that gun manufacturers DO consider the long term durability of their products. While they may not publish all the testing results that lead them to choose a particular material, a reputable manufacturer is not going to sell a product that degrades rapidly due to exposure to a normal operating environment.

FS2K

I have had my Glock G17 for 19 years now, and the polymer frame looks the same as it did when I first got it. Wish I could say the same about the Tenifer coated Slide.

P97

Don't know about polymer, but I have a Remington Nylon 66 that I have had since the 1960's and it is still good.

hksigwalther

IMO, they will probably last into the hundreds of years if stored and used correctly.

The plastic manufacturers that supply materials to mold facilities that make firearm parts do quite a bit of testing on their materials including accelerated aging (usually with the use of heat and UV lamps). It might be a better idea to ask them first hand how long they think their materials would last. Certainly the gun manufacturers won't tell you exactly what polymers they use for their products but, IMO, you can probably get a good idea by asking plastics manufacturers of polyamides (nylons) and filled derivatives, ABS, and other engineering plastics that are generally used for these types of applications.

The biggest enemies for plastics, and polymers in general, is heat, light, and other sources of free radicals. They tend to cleave the bonds of the polymer chains which is what degrades the materials.

tango3065

So would around 100 years be to much to say for current gun manufactured polymer in you opinion, or would that be pushing it?

make syre you research the different kinds of polymer and glass filled stuff.

you can call the guys at cavalry arms in AZ. they do the glass filled AR lowers. they are good guys who will give you some good info minus any trade secrets. their stuff is awesome light and strong. i recomend them cause thery will actually talk to you unlike if you called glock or SA

http://www.cavalryarms.com/ 480-866-9685

Attachments

• MKIIs.jpg
    MKIIs.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 11

hksigwalther

So would around 100 years be to much to say for current gun manufactured polymer in you opinion, or would that be pushing it?

If stored correctly (away from light and excessive heat) and not terribly abused in use, IMO, they should last well past that with the types of modern plastics available today. For guns with plastic parts made over 30 years ago, I wouldn't be so sure.

Chui

Fatigue Failure

There have been fatigue failures in the frames of some LE Glock 19s. These are difficult to see, but if one put's pressure on the dust cover it's readily apparent. It would be better (from an engineer's perspective - I am) to have stainless steel supports a la H&K and, even better, Smith & Wesson on the M&P.

UV degradation is not the main failure mode of Nylon 66, et. als. when applied to firearms. The primary failures will be mechanical loads and porosity.

CALNRA

just keep a few 1911s in the safe, and you will always have a backup.

I like my glock 36 BTW. good gun and very compact