Polymer-cased ammo

Khornet

Saw some 55 gr .223 polymer cased ammo the other day. Bought two boxes. Amazingly light compared to brass. Anyone tried it yet?

Spot77

Wow! I was gonna' ask the same question!

I bought some last week at Bass Pro. Spectrum PCA .223, 20 rounds for $2.99 on sale.

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet either, but I'll be taking the AR out next Thursday.

Poodleshooter

Some folks on arfcom already tried reloading it. There appears to be some sort of "shelf" under the case neck for the bullet to seat on as the neck tension isn't the same as brass. I guess it cracked after the first reload.
It was selling for $3.75 per box in central VA shows. I passed it up for that price. It would have to get cheaper than Wolf for me to bite,and that means under $2 per 20rds.

Ben Swenson

Okay, folks. Tested some more of this stuff through three different ARs today and had my first failure. My friend had put 30 rounds of Winchester White Box through his Bushmaster into a gong and reloaded with a magazine of the PCA. He fired through that magazine and switched back to brass cased ammo and got several failures to feed - on a rifle that had previously been extremely reliable.

Later, I happened to notice an odd .223 case on the ground where he had been shooting - one of the PCA that stopped at the case shoulder - the whole neck was blown off.

I'll get pictures up later tonight, if I remember. He's going to call up Natec and talk to them about it this week, I believe.

gifted

I'm new forgive me, but plain logic and physics appeals here. Shotguns use plastic cases, and in researching automatic shotguns, I came across the fact that plastic melts at a very low temperature, relatively, and thus could be a problem. Rifles can shoot more faster than shotguns, and thus the temperature of the breech can be higher, right? This might explain that broken case, depending on what the break looks like. Plastic in the breech would affect the next load chambering.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going on logic and little experience.

Ben Swenson

Gifted,
Plain logic and physics must've taken a lunch break for the first fifty-nine rounds of PCA we fired, eh? ;) Not all plastics are equal.

I see this as a failure not of the concept but the execution of this particular cartridge. The ammo worked fine out of my gun even after I'd run a magazine through it.

Here is the case that failed:
natecCaseFailure.jpg

Ben Swenson

Ran another hundred through my rifle today and chronographed a magazine. No malfunctions. Glanced at the spent cases and didn't see any that had obviously failed, but I didn't really make a point to find and examine each one.

Compared against some Winchester Q3131A from the same rifle:

High Velocity
PCA - 3231
Q3131A - 3370

Low Velocity
PCA - 3095
Q3131A - 3254

Average
PCA - 3162
Q3131A - 3332

Standard Deviation
PCA - 38.01
Q3131A - 35.51

carebear

so do you think the broken bit in your friends AR eventually extracted with a brass case or went out the front end? any residue in the chamber or throat found?

Ben Swenson

I haven't talked to him yet today so I don't know if he found anything inside the gun after he cleaned it, but my guess is that while some of it may have been blown down the barrel, the majority was ejected with the next case or maybe came back into the action.

As far as I can tell, the gun was undamaged, and we wouldn't have even known that a round had failed had I not spotted the case on the ground.

carebear

If it was just a one in a million bad round, and it did completely self-clear, that is a much better (and clearable in combat) outcome than when brass fails as it sometimes does and you have a cartridge neck fireformed into the throat.

gifted

Now that I'm thinking about it, full auto would be about the only place you'd see that kind of heat, and that cartridge doesn't look melted. Any response from the company on it yet?

Ben Swenson

Any response from the company on it yet?
Not yet. This happened on Saturday, so I doubt that he's even gotten around to contacting them just yet. I'll let you know what they say, though.
If it was just a one in a million bad round, and it did completely self-clear, that is a much better (and clearable in combat) outcome than when brass fails as it sometimes does and you have a cartridge neck fireformed into the throat.
My sample size it too small at this point. 1 in 1,000,000 is acceptable. 1 in 200 is just scary. So, while I can't say whether it was one in a million, the failure certainly didn't permanently or semi-permanently disable the rifle it failed in. I'll find out whether or not there was anything left in the rifle when my friend cleaned it. edit: He says he didn't find anything that appeared to be from the failed case on initial cleaning and inspection.

It has certainly made me wary of using this ammo for any social work - which is unfortunate as the light weight makes it ideal for carrying. If the price on it comes down to the point that there is an advantage of buying Natec's products over good brass-cased ammo, I'd consider trying to put a case or two through my gun to build confidence in it. Until that day, this ammo is for plinking only.

Last edited:

jwise

A friend of mine loves "wringing things out." He fired some of it in an M16 and the ammo failed miserably. This was AFTER the barrel (thus, chamber) got VERY hot. The extractor would just pull the brass endcap off the plastic "hull."

My opinion is that it is a fine plinking ammo at low chamber temperatures, but not for anything more than that.

Ben Swenson

Talked to my friend today, and apparently they got a response back from Natec. Supposedly, that batch was a "bad lot". Not sure how or if they plan on remedying the situation.